The Rhodebar thread!

It's interesting how the F1s are maturing. I made an incorrect assumption about their original down. I assumed the "dark group" were female and the "medium group" were male. I have 12 in each group... 4 in each group are too young to sex. Of the 8 older in the dark group, 2 are male. Of the 8 in the medium group, 1 is female. I will likely put the female from the medium group in my layer pen and just use the 6 females from the dark pen to choose from. That said... a few have much better type than the others so... they will be my breeders.
But they are changing so much. I'd say it'll be mid summer before I will be able to choose for sure.

I'm not sure it matters so much which pen I choose a male from... type being a higher priority. I believe my best male is in the medium pen. But I sure have a lot of F1 males to choose from. The males appear to be more consistent.

Last edited:
It's interesting how the F1s are maturing. I made an incorrect assumption about their original down. I assumed the "dark group" were female and the "medium group" were male. I have 12 in each group... 4 in each group are too young to sex. Of the 8 older in the dark group, 2 are male. Of the 8 in the medium group, 1 is female. I will likely put the female from the medium group in my layer pen and just use the 6 females from the dark pen to choose from. That said... a few have much better type than the others so... they will be my breeders.
But they are changing so much. I'd say it'll be mid summer before I will be able to choose for sure.

I'm not sure it matters so much which pen I choose a male from... type being a higher priority. I believe my best male is in the medium pen. But I sure have a lot of F1 males to choose from. The males appear to be more consistent.
its Fascinating and intriguing that the Wildtype looking males dont have a headspot

its Fascinating and intriguing that the Wildtype looking males dont have a headspot

I'm counting on that being an obvious way to distinguish between e+e+ and e+eWh

Well - I was hoping to share - but all of the eggs but 2 never even started to develop and those two quite before much formation. No blood rings just quit. It wasn't the incubator because 3 text eggs with various hard shells both (backyard mix) all hatched out and are in day 2-3 of their lives and eating and running around just fine.

They were wrapped well for shipping .... but must have been to scrambled in transit. Oh well - next spring .....

Well - I was hoping to share - but all of the eggs but 2 never even started to develop and those two quite before much formation. No blood rings just quit. It wasn't the incubator because 3 text eggs with various hard shells both (backyard mix) all hatched out and are in day 2-3 of their lives and eating and running around just fine.

They were wrapped well for shipping .... but must have been to scrambled in transit. Oh well - next spring .....

Dang that stinks. Sheri and I both should have 1 generation improved Rhodebars come fall. Not sure where you live but maybe we will be able to help you out when you are ready to give it another try. I saw they have egg cushions now for shipping eggs to help keep them from being ruined in transit. I think if I ever ship eggs that is what I will use.

Penny

I have a 4 month old trio available and will have more chicks in a week or two. Hatching more was not planned but. .. My sister is a teacher and wanted to borrow the incubator and eggs for school so. .. more Rhodebar chicks coming soon. I will just sell all of these if they are correct... I have no need to keep any more since I am working on the F1s.
If anyone wants some young Rhodebar let me know...

Last edited:
Penny - thanks for the support ... I live in Vermont - so am removed from most :)

I think I am going to drive to any further eggs or peeps :) I actually had two sellers - this one that shipped well, but the transit must have got any that were fertile - and a stinker of a seller who didn't ship, then turned ugly when I started to push on him. So from now on - cash and face to face ....

I was looking forward to posting the pics and following the growth along to see what I had. But I haven't given up - just no more this year - at least my mixed flock gave me three lovely peeps to play with and, of course, I added a few from the local feed store since the hatching eggs didn't pan out. ! ha ha

Amazing how shipments are so unpredictable. I'm beginning to think it's not the folks packing eggs, it's the inconsistent postal carriers.
I no longer mark my packages fragile and have had much better luck with the eggs arriving safely. Now isn't that weird?

Back
Top Bottom