The Rhodebar thread!

Not very good photos, chickens are shy. The color appears darker than they really are because of the light. They are about 9 weeks old and am I seeing lacing and barring in the pullet? May not be able to tell in the picture.

Not very good photos, chickens are shy. The color appears darker than they really are because of the light. They are about 9 weeks old and am I seeing lacing and barring in the pullet? May not be able to tell in the picture.
I think their color looks okay compared to many that I have seen. Time will tell on how much black will pop up on the male but they are showing a lot of red (although light red) which is a good thing. Since males are double barred they will appear lighter. Once you start adding HRIR into your line they will darken up.

I see barring on the pullet. At this age they will do a lot of changing before they are adults. In my opinion you are off to a good start. Just remember all of Rhodebars in the US need improving.

Penny

I have been trying to learn more about the Rhodebars. Thank you to all for sharing your wisdom on this breed. I now have 2 groups - one trio and one quint. The quint all hatched together from eggs from one person. I am not sure about the trio. I am debating switching the roos and I would love some opinions on what I have to work with. (The combs on the roos succumbed to frostbite this winter
sad.png
)

Group A

It really bothers me to see a heterozygous for Columbian Factor females at thiss stage, why? how can Co be left out in the breeding program of a Columbian restricted breed? it just dont make any sense to me, I am being generous here, she could be co+/co+ too, it bothers me

This week 2 of 3 Rhodebar eggs hatched. One is much darker than its sibling, and darker than the one last week also. I don't see a headspot on any of them, hopefully that means they are both pullets, what do you think?

It really bothers me to see a heterozygous for Columbian Factor females at thiss stage, why? how can Co be left out in the breeding program of a Columbian restricted breed? it just dont make any sense to me, I am being generous here, she could be co+/co+ too, it bothers me

Thank you for your input. I have been wondering about her coloring myself. Should I leave her out of the breeding groups completely and just use her for eating eggs, or just be very selective of the chicks produced?

Hi.. nice males... at least they look better than the ones I saw, two three years ago....

To show how close Rhodebars and Hampbars are....

a pic of three of my Hampbar males...

Back
Top Bottom