The Rhodebar thread!

Hi.. nice males... at least they look better than the ones I saw, two three years ago....

To show how close Rhodebars and Hampbars are....

a pic of three of my Hampbar males...
Dang they have nice combs. Are those birds that you created or did you do an improvement on an existing line? Our Rhodebars should be more red (coloring) then the Hampbars, correct? I have found much better improvement on my male F1's (Rhodebar over HRIR) then I see in the pullets. I have a few that have much, much improved type. I think it is going to take several generations to get the pullets looking decent.

Penny

Those are my line.... :) When I started on them GFF didn't even know what an autosexing breed was .... :) those are third generation.... I still have one of those males... one is gone to Tenn... the other went to a friend... in fact I have five males and need to get rid of at least two... I keep two or three males only... I started my research and breeding in 2006.. ...first double barried ..breeding true Hampbar male was 9/14/2010.... :)

have a great one...

Keith
SC
USA

Those are my line....
smile.png
When I started on them GFF didn't even know what an autosexing breed was ....
smile.png
those are third generation.... I still have one of those males... one is gone to Tenn... the other went to a friend... in fact I have five males and need to get rid of at least two... I keep two or three males only... I started my research and breeding in 2006.. ...first double barried ..breeding true Hampbar male was 9/14/2010....
smile.png

have a great one...

Keith
SC
USA

Well you did a great job with them, they are beautiful.

Penny

Thanks.... there are some great guys and gals around the world at the time lead me to the right research... I had to go downunder or the UK back then to find anyone that even knew what they were or what I was trying to do... The research papers from UBC in the early 1950's were allot of help... even having a standard for Barred New Hampshires... or Hampbars... that i use today still... I think that the creation of Sexlinked chickens here in the USA caused ALL the Autosexing breeds to die a quick death as breeders lost interested... went where the money was... and just stopped trying to develop them...it takes years.... did i say years:) to create a breed....
My males are really mostly white... with yellow... or wheaten down.. the females do not have stripes... or wild type down...some do have a small eyeline and these mature into darker pullets then those that don't... so to me it is simple... :) the light ones are male... the females are darker lookiing mostly like a wheaten chick of the New Hampshire type... Just a few weeks ago I got back a male chick from a breeder i sold chicks to last year.... she had some just hatch out... I told her I wanted a male.. just one male.... and that is just what she brought me... :) a male... this was her first hatch... first time hatching them... but she sexed them everyone... :) Someone will ask me what I breed and when I tell them... I always get... what is that.. :) lol I always tell them that they are so rare they are almost invisible... :) you can get hens teeth quickier... lol

have it easy...
thanks...

Keith
SC
USA

Keith
SC
USA

As he gets older allot of the black barring will be over come with the red.... so he will look even better.. ;)

here is a pic of one of my Hampbar males from on top... you see very little black barried but where it should be....

Keith
SC
USA

Last edited:
I don't usually hatch past March unless it's project birds but my sister asked to borrow my small bator and some eggs for her school so I sent her some eggs from the two older Rhodebar hens I had in with Ace.
The first two just hatched. The difference is amazing.

I don't usually hatch past March unless it's project birds but my sister asked to borrow my small bator and some eggs for her school so I sent her some eggs from the two older Rhodebar hens I had in with Ace.
The first two just hatched. The difference is amazing.
Awwww. From pics I have seen Rhodebars certainly are not consistent, even using the same parents chicks can vary greatly. I can't wait to get some head spots on my birds.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom