The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
When breeding a Rhodebar male to RIR hens to produce more Rhodebars, why would you cross their offspring together (F1 X F1)?

I know that you will get a percentage of pure Rhodebar chicks from that mating but wouldn't it make more sense/be easier and faster to cross one of the F1 females back to her pure Rhodebar father?

Wouldn't their offspring then be pure Rhodebars?

Just curious about what the rest of you think. You recall that one of my Rhodebars (that I got directly from GFF - and they swear it is purebred) is laying a green/olive egg. It has laid about 8 eggs now - and they're all green. Would it be worthwhile to incubate some of those eggs to see if the auto-sexing is still there - despite the green egg?

If it is a Rhodebar crossed with a Cream Legbar I would imagine the auto sexing ability would still be there.

You could call them Red Cream Bars! LOL.

When breeding a Rhodebar male to RIR hens to produce more Rhodebars, why would you cross their offspring together (F1 X F1)?
I know that you will get a percentage of pure Rhodebar chicks from that mating but wouldn't it make more sense/be easier and faster to cross one of the F1 females back to her pure Rhodebar father?
Wouldn't their offspring then be pure Rhodebars?
thats only true if your Rhodebar parent stock rooster is of an Exceptional Quality, meaning its the kind of bird you are breeding for, but if he is not(maybe he is not dark enough, or has not the correct body type of a heritage RIR) you will get very good quality Rhode bars by doing F1xF1 even if you have to hatch alot of them..

Just curious about what the rest of you think. You recall that one of my Rhodebars (that I got directly from GFF - and they swear it is purebred) is laying a green/olive egg. It has laid about 8 eggs now - and they're all green. Would it be worthwhile to incubate some of those eggs to see if the auto-sexing is still there - despite the green egg?
was this hen cross to a RIR? GFF stock at some point may have been crossed with legbars, now its nearly impossible to get rid of the O gene, because it has crossed over from pea comb to single comb, making it impossible to get ridd of now, but hey its not a bad idea to have a Rhodebar laying Olive eggs...

ok now lets get back abit... if you cross your Rhodebar hen to your RIR roo you will not be able to sex the chicks at hatch, why? because they will be e+/eWh B/b+(for boys) and B/-(for females) you wont be able to sex them at all..... if you want to make sure your Rhodebar is pure you can mate any of the F1 cockerel back to her and at this stage you will be getting autosexing chicks..

I understand what you mean now, you don't want to propagate the faults of the father bird by breeding back to him. Gotcha.

I understand what you mean now, you don't want to propagate the faults of the father bird by breeding back to him. Gotcha.
I dont know jeremy, seeing how Rhodebars are so few of them, you may actually want to do a Back cross just to make sure you have more Rhodebars to select from, a few males of that cross(F1 mated back to parent Rhodebar) may actually look better than their dad... I certainly cant predict that because that type of genetics is as of now has not been studied enough, but we can guesstimate...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom