The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
According to GFF, the hen I have is pure Rhodebar - no Legbar mixed in. I got it directly from GFF as a chick. It certainly looks like a Rhodebar. However, there are those green eggs! I'm going to do a test hatch and see what I get.

According to GFF, the hen I have is pure Rhodebar - no Legbar mixed in. I got it directly from GFF as a chick. It certainly looks like a Rhodebar. However, there are those green eggs! I'm going to do a test hatch and see what I get.
well she mya be Pure genotypically and phenotypically speaking, but as I said earlier, the O gene(blue egg shell gene) is now nearly impossible to get rid of,

We have Rhodebars from Greenfire. None are laying yet and we had to take the dominate rooster out of the pen. He actually killed two other roosters in the course of three days. Then we found a dead hen, she was too young for his amorous advances. So he was removed to a bachelor pad. Once the hens are fully mature we will introduce him again and watch. He is beautiful and has not been agressive to us at all, so we don't know what to think of him. Two or three of the hens are just georgous and quite dark. Another one or two look essentially the same except they are not nearly as dark. Our plan was to find some nice dark Heritage RIR hens to breed to the Rhodebar rooster to increase our numbers and bolster the "dark" red color of the hens. Is that a good plan or should we just use the roo over our existing Rhodebar hens?

Our plan was to find some nice dark Heritage RIR hens to breed to the Rhodebar rooster to increase our numbers and bolster the "dark" red color of the hens. Is that a good plan or should we just use the roo over our existing Rhodebar hens?
that sounds like a good plan, Heritage RIR are the way to go if one is to enhanced the current Rhodebar breed to RIR standards, but keep in mind that this will take longer than usual, why? because you need to do F1xF1 cross to get back to the autosexing chick down..

I know RIR are based on eWh(Wheaten) but wheaten does not make a RIR, or in other words you can have a RIR that is not wheaten but wildtype(e+) or eb(brown) and you could not tell the difference between them.. and after all Rhodebars should be Autosexable Barred RIR after all..

can you show us pics of your boy and hens?

Nicalandia,

Thanks for the reply I will get some pics but it will likely be the weekend. Yes I want these to be auto sexing. So, your saying that if I breed the RIR hen to the Rhodebar rooster, those chicks won't be sexable? I must then breed the F1 to F1 to get the sex link back? How about the F1 back to the Rhodebar rooster, would that be sexable. And while I am asking how about the F1 rooster back to the Rhodebar hens?

Thanks so much for you time and patience with us that are genetically handicapped.

Nicalandia,

How about the F1 back to the Rhodebar rooster, would that be sexable.

And while I am asking how about the F1 rooster back to the Rhodebar hens?
actually this is how Breeds are Recreated, breeding males back to mother and females back to fathers.. that is if the parent line are of a good quality, remember the goal of the rhodebar is to have barred RIR, so if your rhodbars already look like RIR then yes go ahead with the backcross if not then F1xF1 is your best bet

Thank you very much we will likey give it all a try once we locate some good RIR. Will attempt to get the pics soon.

Do you still incubate them, or does your Araucana still get broody?

I dont know jeremy, seeing how Rhodebars are so few of them, you may actually want to do a Back cross just to make sure you have more Rhodebars to select from, a few males of that cross(F1 mated back to parent Rhodebar) may actually look better than their dad... I certainly cant predict that because that type of genetics is as of now has not been studied enough, but we can guesstimate...

My thoughts exactly... cross the F1 pullets back to their father to ensure that you have at least a few more pure Rhodebars running around. You might be breeding some faults, but hopefully the RIR mother will have passed some good traits onto her daughters that would hopefully then be passed on as well to her offspring when bred back to her father.

Either way I feel like it's going to be a long road before we start seeing Rhodebars with good color and excellent type.

My thoughts exactly... cross the F1 pullets back to their father to ensure that you have at least a few more pure Rhodebars running around. You might be breeding some faults, but hopefully the RIR mother will have passed some good traits onto her daughters that would hopefully then be passed on as well to her offspring when bred back to her father.
thats correct, I say if you are able to get your hands on Rhodebars, go ahead and get aleast one parent breeder, this will save you alot of time than starting from scratch....

Back
Top Bottom