The Rhodebar thread!

I believe he is double barred. The barring is too sharp for single. What does @nicalandia think?

Homozygous for Sexlinked Barring..

Thanks, that's good to know, I was getting a little bummed :) I'm not set up right now to really work on any sort of project seriously, so the idea of having to do a bunch of hatching to try to get a double barred Rooster wasn't sitting well.

thats the trick, gettin them this dark and even darker which I trully believe is possible, now if genetics and breeding was easy I would be doing something else, I really like the chanllenges it brings upon me
Yes getting them that dark is the trick BUT I have yet to see any GFF stock improved to that point as of yet, that's why I am surprised at a RB being that dark and being double barred without a few generations of improvements.

Penny

Yes getting them that dark is the trick BUT I have yet to see any GFF stock improved to that point as of yet, that's why I am surprised at a RB being that dark and being double barred without a few generations of improvements.

Penny

I'm not sure what the original stock for my birds is, and if it's GFF how many generations removed. I purchased the chicks locally, but the eggs initially came from dmrippy so she could better answer that question. I have plenty of solid colored birds (Buff Orp, Blue Orp, White Leghorn, Black Jersey Giant, etc) so I could easily do a test breeding to see if he's single or double barred. Probably with the leghorn since they lay white eggs, so it would be easy to tell if the eggs were from one of the Rhodebar girls or the Leghorn if they are all in one pen with him. That would probably answer the question faster than breeding him to just the Rhodebar girls and waiting to see if a non-barred female pops out. Are Leghorns dominant white or recessive white?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the original stock for my birds is, and if it's GFF how many generations removed. I purchased the chicks locally, but the eggs initially came from dmrippy so she could better answer that question. I have plenty of solid colored birds (Buff Orp, Blue Orp, White Leghorn, Black Jersey Giant, etc) so I could easily do a test breeding to see if he's single or double barred. Probably with the leghorn since they lay white eggs, so it would be easy to tell if the eggs were from one of the Rhodebar girls or the Leghorn if they are all in one pen with him. That would probably answer the question faster than breeding him to just the Rhodebar girls and waiting to see if a non-barred female pops out. Are Leghorns dominant white or recessive white?

Single barred birds should have a solid colored feather somewhere. Often in the tail. Could save you test breeding. Here is a example.

Well he is pretty. What is he about 6-7 months old? It will be nice to see how he matures type wise. If he were mine I would put him over my best RB hens, those that are barred not laced. If he is single barred you will get some single bars but you will (should) get some double bars. I would also put him over the best HRIR hens I could get.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom