The Rhodebar thread!

Thanks Sy! I'm excited. I just read that they don't lay real large eggs like the RIR..shucks, thought they did. Anyone have photos of some beautiful eggs from their girls?

The Rhodebar is the first one, on the left. My pullet has only been laying for a few months. It looks small compared to the EE egg on the far right, but that hen is several years old and lays light blue eggs that often hit 70 grams!

The RB eggs are usually in the range or 53 - 56 grams. I expect they will get larger as the hen get older, but I'm quite happy with the size now. Of course I haven't eaten or sold any of the RB eggs yet, and they are the right size to hatch.

@michaelf
@RedRidge

Where are two, you always give me answers.   :D    Anyone?? 

Hard for me to say but I'd guess 6 months is about right. Mine were a little longer but they were a very late hatch.
I will say they have nice eggs. Will get some pics later. They are Brown and large. Only slightly smaller than my standard bred rir.
But... One they started laying they lay every day. I'll be curious how many season they will keep this up because they ate laying like hatchery birds. I hope they Peter out in a few years.

It's me again.
big_smile.png

I was wondering when these Rhodebars start laying? This girl..that everyone thought was a boy, is a girl for sure! She hatched on Dec. 28th. So, just over 5 months old. I sold the dark ones, kept her..I like the lighter ones. :p Very pretty girl to me. Remember, no breeding here, just want a pretty girl out there that will lay! Is she close at just over 5 months..or do you find they take a little longer to start? Patient aren't I?
lol.png

Thanks! Love all of the photos that I took a min. to look at. Some pretty little Rhodebars out there.

This is the one who had kind of that laced look originally, similar to the one I posted above, correct? Interesting seeing how she matured, she definitely looks barred now.

Definitely pays with these birds to get photos of them throughout their "childhood" if you are buying adult birds.

This is the one who had kind of that laced look originally, similar to the one I posted above, correct? Interesting seeing how she matured, she definitely looks barred now.

Definitely pays with these birds to get photos of them throughout their "childhood" if you are buying adult birds.

Yes, this baby was light from the start. But, had a very faint chipmunk strip on it's back, very faint. And, no white spot on the head...photos again.
This is her on the far right. No spot, barely some striping going down the back, can't see it too well on here. The darker one .. a girl of course. That's a blue EE.

Here she is a couple of months old...the darker one on the left,
she is on the lower right. White face..hmm..
LL

Then again a couple of months later..
LL

The darker one on the left..and her on the right side of the HRIR
LL

Last edited:
Hard for me to say but I'd guess 6 months is about right. Mine were a little longer but they were a very late hatch.
I will say they have nice eggs. Will get some pics later. They are Brown and large. Only slightly smaller than my standard bred rir.
But... One they started laying they lay every day. I'll be curious how many season they will keep this up because they ate laying like hatchery birds. I hope they Peter out in a few years.

Thank you Red. I was also wondering how often they laid, so you answered that question here too. She isn't even checking out the nest boxes yet, but hopefully by the end of the month.
Would love to see photos of some eggs.

Figured it was time for an update on my F1's.
These are a couple of shots from the pen that has the chicks who were the darkest.
Most are pullets but there are 2 males in the group.
The pullet in the 2nd pic is not as orange as she looks, but at least you get the idea about structure.
The males all need their tales brought down more (but what can you expect for just f1s) and definitely still need a lot more type.
I'm liking the improvement in structure on the pullets - not good, but definitely an improvement.
Leg color seems to be good and yellow, although obviously no horn color yet on legs but got some beak horn color this go around.
All in all I think I have to be pleased since there are obvious improvements for just F1s.
I'm anxious to get opinions and to get some eggs on the ground so I can get on with the next generation.
Once the other rhodebar pullets I had began laying they have stayed consistent at almost an egg a day each... and now , at a year old... one is trying to go broody.

wow such much progress in one single F1s, I am sure the quality of the RIR has alot to do with that

Back
Top Bottom