The Rhodebar thread!

Wow I'm a little slow... Just made the connection and realized who you were @ihilani coffee
wow...okayyyyyyyyyyyyy...
frow.gif

HI. I have had Rhodebars for over a year. I have three heritage RIR hens from a nice breeder here in NY. I need to get pics, but I am not sure if I need to keep a cockeral that is RIR?Rhodebar? Or is it just the pullets I breed back to the a Rhodebar. Thanks for your help in advance.

HI.  I have had Rhodebars for over a year.  I have three heritage RIR hens from a nice breeder here in NY.  I need to get pics, but I am not sure if I need to keep a cockeral that is RIR?Rhodebar?  Or is it just the pullets I breed back to the a Rhodebar.  Thanks for your help in advance. 

I guess it depends on what your goals are with both breeds. That's a tough question to answer without knowing what you'd like to accomplish with each breed.

I'm still learning about the coloring standards but I like the SC picture it looks more red with a larger tail. Pictures make it hard to see brick shape but if these Rhodebars are supposed to be shaped like the heritage reds, to me the better brick shape is the first picture of the rose comb.

I guess it depends on what your goals are with both breeds. That's a tough question to answer without knowing what you'd like to accomplish with each breed.

HI. I just want to improve the Rhodebars. I love the color of the pictures posted here! Wow my kids would be so happy! And here in upstate NY Rose combs would be a blessing!

If your RIR are RC then some of your F1s will be RC if crossed with a Rhodebar.
For serious improvement over several years and several generations you need to understand a little more about the genetics of the Rhodebar if you are not already familiar with their genetics.
But for quickest improvement (but a much less drastic improvement) you can get some pure RB in two generations of you cull correctly. You have to cross a RB cock over rir hens. Cull all but the most wildtype and keep those as your F1's. Breed F1s females back to a RB cock and approx half will be true RB. If you cross an f1 cock back over the rir hens you will get much better type than the other way but you will have to keep fewer than 1/8 of the chicks (who won't be pure) to carry on for a few more generations.
Hope that wasn't too confusing.
The Dark RB in the pics above are all F1 so are not purebred. I have both F2 and BC1 eggs in the bator right now so should have my next generation of both breedings in a few weeks.
Back to RC... I obviously prefer RC because that is what i started with - RC RIR. But to this point in the RB project I have concentrated so much on type that I haven't paid any attention to comb type or quality yet. For me, that type of refined improvement is several generations away. I'm just trying to get high quality type at this point.

Back
Top Bottom