The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
Yes, they should lay brown eggs, they can say what they like but Greenfire made a mistake somewhere in the breeding or problems came from those they acquired. No bird in there making shold have laid any color egg other than some shade of brown.

Last edited:
Yes, they should lay brown eggs, they can say what they like but Greenfire made a mistake somewhere in the breeding or problems came from those they acquired. No bird in there making shold have laid any color egg other than some shade of brown.

That's true. I've communicated with Greenfire several times - and they "assure" me the chicks I got from them are purebred. Yet - one lays an olive egg, the other lays a green egg. I sold one of the female chicks I got - and that one lays a green egg, too.

Oh yes - I told them that my Rhodebars were laying olive/green eggs instead of brown. I told them that obviously there was a blue egg layer somewhere in the hens' genetics- and that shouldn't be. I asked for them to refund my money - they refused and insisted they were purebred.

Sounds like it will be too costly a venture to correct. Maybe purebred is like the words "all natural" and has absolutely no meaning. I had considered ordering some male Rhodebar chicks from them along with some of their exotic orps, but I don't plan on playing russian roulette with my money right now. I noticed with some of the Swedish Flower Hens I purchased from a buyer who bought directly from them some had split wing and comb issues.

They do have some beautiful birds, but I find it hard how they can ignore such an issue as a brown layer laying olive eggs.

Last edited:
If folks are telling them that their birds are laying green eggs, wouldn't you think they would stop selling them and go through their birds. You would think they would be getting green eggs also. I think they will end up ruining their reputation.

I thought it was hard to get rid of the green egg laying gene once it was established? Is that not correct? Can that be bred out and if so how many generations would it take to get them back to laying brown eggs?

Back
Top Bottom