The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
I noticed the same thing - other people with birds directly from GFF selling green Rhodebar eggs. I went back and read their website description of the Rhodebars... Here it is:

"The threat to this breed potentially creates the loss of a wonderful genetic treasure since a hen from a good strain of rhodebars will produce over two hundred very large tinted eggs a year."

Tinted eggs is what they are saying these days.does anyone know if they have always described them as tinted or is that new?

I noticed the same thing - other people with birds directly from GFF selling green Rhodebar eggs. I went back and read their website description of the Rhodebars... Here it is:

"The threat to this breed potentially creates the loss of a wonderful genetic treasure since a hen from a good strain of rhodebars will produce over two hundred very large tinted eggs a year."

Tinted eggs is what they are saying these days.does anyone know if they have always described them as tinted or is that new?

Pretty sure that was brown before. I don't remember it saying tinted and I think I would remember that. Honestly that would have been a bigger draw to me as everyone likes blue/green eggs. Thus far all my rhodebars have laid brown eggs and look true to type. They are from GFF. Ill try to post more pics this week but I am out of town. Chicks have also hatched out true to type. I'm concerned with those pics posted earlier. They look an awful lot like a cream legbar/rhodebar mix. They have the red but the coloring of a legbar. Would like to get more info from that seller!

Well I'm glad that I didn't get them. Even though I love the colored eggs. I was going to use to sell chicks to the Amish in my area, some what egg layers and some want roosters. They only want brown layers.
I just wonder if a rogue CCL didn't get in their Rhodebar pen. It should still make them auto-sexing

The last two of my olive colored Rhodebar eggs hatched over night. So I had 100% hatch - for the first time ever! I will take photos later when they're all dried and fluffed up. There are some that are definitely lighter than the others - and the others have clearer chipmunk stripes. So I'm still holding out hope that these are auto-sexing. I will post the photos later today, and I hope all you other Rhodebar owners can tell me what you think about whether they're autosexing. So far, I don't see any white spots on heads, though.

My thinking is that if you pay top dollar for a pure bred bird it should be a pure bred bird. Rhodebars lay brown eggs. To me if it lays white, green, blue or anything other then brown it is not a purebred Rhodebar. It's genetics are not pure and GF should have remedied the situation.

I have a rooster that is the son of my neighbors Australorp rooster. Spitting image of his daddy and side by side you can see no difference BUT my rooster is not a purebred Australorp regardless of what he looks like and it would be wrong for me to sell him as a purebred Australorp.

I thought it was hard to get rid of the green egg laying gene once it was established? Is that not correct? Can that be bred out and if so how many generations would it take to get them back to laying brown eggs?
its Hard to get rid of, but not impossible, it will take a few generations, but if you are already trying to improve the breed by using RIR then this also should take you a few generations, you can do both things at the same time.........OR you can start all over again with proven stock(I dont know where you can get them beside GFF)

I don't have any of these. I want some. But I DON"T want olive eggs, I have Olive Eggers for that.
your OE are not autosexable..
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom