The Secrets to Long Life in Chickens?

Happy new year all and apologies for the slow reply, I had a crazy week.

My chickens are my pets and they get the best care I can give them and high quality feed. I would echo what someone else said earlier, breeding is hugely important. I bought 10 in an assortment from Hoover Hatchery through Tractor Supply. Never again. I’ve lost my Orpington, my White Rock, and (just today) my Sapphire Gem, all this year before they even turned three years old. I’ve learned my lesson. If you want long lived birds buy top quality chicks. This has been a horribly painful year for my flock. I’ve fully intended to let my girls live out their golden years but these haven’t had the chance.
I’m so sorry for your tough year @Pghelp, I can understand your sadness and I’m sorry for your losses.
NanaK is right, a few MAY live to an old age, it is unrealistic to expect them all to do so.

I have often wondered if climate has something to do with it, some climates would be easier for birds to live in. I wonder if last weeks -28 degrees stressed birds that even though they came through just fine, maybe it will shorten their lives.

I mostly have hatchery birds and crossbreeds - a 4-5 year old bird is a very old bird in my flock. Maybe it is because I feed kitchen scraps, and scratch, and let them out to peck, but I think the eggs taste better.

To be honest - I think that this idea is setting up people to feeling guilty when their birds or most of their birds do not live to an old age. I just don't worry about it. I raise my birds more like your mother. It works for me. They have a great life, and generally a quick end.

I think sometimes people with a great deal of sensibility, should not get chickens, they feel so bad when they die. I feel bad too, but I have been raised with animals my whole life, lived in a small community my whole life, been to countless funerals and am comfortable with the fact of death. And less confident, that I really have much to change it. Death comes to all life.

I agree with RidgeRunner (I generally do) I think it is more the luck of the draw, than great management. Even in people, sometimes people with great lifestyles die young, and sometimes you will meet a smoking, drinking, wild living man or woman that lives a very long time.

I am not sure I understand the goal of long lived chickens...I mean, I don't prevent my all my chickens from having a long life. I am glad they are alive when I go down there, but it is not a goal of mine to have 10 year old chickens.
Mrs K
Lots of valid points here, thank you.

I don’t really have any expectations per se, rather I feel that we (my family) could do more to ensure our chickens don’t die as young as many do. I would say that I am more sensitive than most about them, although I do try to be practical, but I also just hate to see an animal die relatively young for no good cause. Our chickens have names and are known by my young nieces, it just seems a pity to me that some die younger than they should, especially if there is something we could do about it.

I acknowledge that a 10 year old chook is really quite old and I need to manage my expectations, but I hope we can at least get some more living to 5+ so that they and we can enjoy their lives that bit more. Having said that, I know there’s a lot to be said for a short and good life with a quick end too.

Thanks again for all the input, plenty to think about. ☺️

I think selecting the right breeds for your climate and setup is important. I used to keep larger birds (like Brahmas), but the predator load has increased so much over the last year that I am switching to smaller ones who fly well. It made me rethink the types of chickens I have as well as my coop/run/fencing setup.

I have horses,many live into their 20s,a few well into their 30s..many I've had the majority of their lives..every breed is different in terms of longevity..actually the ones that were used the longest,hardest typically live longer with better quality.every Grey I've had has died of cancer ( they believe aforementioned of melanoma may be linked to the cor gene, research isongoing) I have put some down at 22-23 duets infirmities of old age and my oldest at 37. . Breed has a lot to do with longevity in both horses and dogs..I wodsuspe the same is true in chickens

The key to long life in chickens is genetics, diet and environment. Super layers usually succumb to some sort of reproductive problem by the time they are 4 years old. Feeding a diet missing in nutrients will cause all kinds of problems, and overcrowding and dirty housing will shorten the life span of any species. Keeping things simple and starting small is often successful in poultry keeping. Don't let chicken math get you in a bind. Purchase your birds from reputable breeders, and build the biggest, poultry friendly facility you can afford. Feed good quality feed appropriate for the age of the chicken. Old hens who are not laying don't need layer feed and roosters don't need to eat layer feed either, but many seem to fare well eating the same feed as the hens. Don't let your birds get obese in old age and allow them to remain active as possible. If they can't free range, enrich their lives by keeping them busy with 'food toys' that encourages natural foraging behaviors. Adding healthy treats such as greens and veggies is a bonus.

Very interesting replies so far, thanks!

We are meeting a lot of these suggestions/criteria already but I think the key issues are feed and damp conditions in our case. Will be interesting to see if any other replies also suggest that.

The chickens have a lot of space (both inside and out), ramps to come down from their roosts/perches, multiple waterers which are refreshed pretty regularly and they are primarily fed layers pellets BUT my Mum feeds them a lot of nonsense too. I think that is possibly the crux of it.

I also feel that parasites are a big issue, even with all the space sometimes their run area can be very damp simply because we’re in the U.K. and at times it rains a lot. I think they pick a lot of things up from earthworms, bugs etc. We do treat them with a wormer and I check and treat for external parasites too, but I often feel like unknown bugs bring them down in the end.
I haven't heard of having a ramp from roost to ground.

Most breeders, and hatcheries, breed young birds, none older than two, because it's most cost effective. Finding anyone who breeds older birds would be best, but will be difficult, regardless of breed.
As already mentioned, good care is then really important, and the trade-off between fun free ranging and predation is very real.
Our oldest birds were two very small hatchery Jersey Giant hens, who both died at 9, and a Belgian d'Uccle hen, also 9.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom