The Secrets to Long Life in Chickens?

HollyWoozle

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Let me start by saying I would rather chickens had a good life than just a long life, but a good, long life is my ideal. My family keeps chickens for eggs but also as pets and those who don’t lay stay until they pass away or need to be humanely dispatched for health reasons.

I know that for those keeping chickens purely for egg production or meat won’t be seeking to maximise the lifespan of their chickens, but I’d love to hear from those with ageing chickens about what you think is key to your success? Our chickens live with my parents and they never really make it to an old age, but my parents think their oldest chickens are ancient and essentially just expect most not to live past a few years. They do have a good life but I’ve tried to explain that hens can live 10+ and even way beyond in some cases, if they are well-managed.

The oldest hens in our flock are now 5 years and a few months old - these are homebred and I am sure that is the key to their survival, perhaps because they have good immunity to the things present in the area? They are also crossbreeds, the rooster was a Cuckoo Maran and the hen was a CLB hybrid of some sort. We had 6 originally and lost one earlier this year, so all of them have lived to 4 or 5 as a minimum. Our other hens were either shop-bought as adults, given to us by people who couldn’t care for them or are rescue hens from a battery farm. None of these tend to live beyond a few years with us (I don’t expect the rescues to live long anyway).

I have various opinions on the management of the flock but can’t control things exactly when I don’t live there. I would be happy to hear from those of you with older chickens about what you do on a day to day basis to care for them and why you think yours live to a good age! I am sure genetics and luck play a part but I think some of you have some older ladies and gents who are also a testament to your great care.

Last edited:
With production birds comes laying issues come the third and fourth spring- two and three years old. Most birds are hatchery stock bred for egg production. Inherently a significant number of them die from being egg bound before age four.

The key to longer lived birds is to hatch from older birds. They've proved not to succumb to a number of health problems.

I'm sure this is not the most important thing that can be done but it contributes to quality of life. Set up the coop so the birds can get down from the roosts and nests and coop itself if it is raised without a big jar on the landing. This can be done through a combination of things such as the roosts at a lower height, intermediate platforms, resilient landings, and lighter birds. This lowers the risk of arthritis.

IMO, the keys to a long healthy life are the same in all animals:
  • Sound nutrition,
  • Plenty of fresh air,
  • Plenty of healthy exercise (but not physical over-straining),
  • Maintaining an active mind,
  • And the minimal level of stress compatible with the healthy exercise and active mind parts of the equation (one could consider physical and mental challenge as healthy stress).
So, when it comes to chickens specifically:
  • Feed a good, well-balanced ration without too many fatty or starchy treats,
  • Make sure that the coop is very well ventilated and allow access to a run or range area as often as possible,
  • Provide enough space for the chickens to move around freely, even above the suggested minimums if at all possible,
  • Provide plenty of opportunity to engage in their natural behaviors of foraging, scratching, dust-bathing, sun-bathing, perching, etc. in an enriched environment,
  • And be watchful for stressors such as predators harassing them, people frightening or teasing them, over-crowding, poor sanitation, and such environmental/climate hazards as you can actually control/mitigate.

The key to longer lived birds is to hatch from older birds. They've proved not to succumb to a number of health problems.

Of course my above suggestions can only maximize genetic potential. The potential has to be there in the first place. :)

I'm not convinced that "great care" is all that important. Lack if bad care is probably a better way to phrase it. It seems the more I try to micromanage them the more harm I do.

Why do they die? Predators are a huge risk. Predator protection has to be up there in importance.

Disease is a risk. Some people do all sorts of things to try to improve disease resistance. I don't do anything more preventative than try to strengthen their immune system. I expose them to the risks in their environment at a very young age so their body is motre likely to handle it.

I agree heredity is extremely important in many different ways. Hatcheries don't breed for long life. Hatching from older chickens, both male and female, will give you a better chance of getting chickens that can live to be older.

Do not keep the "production" chickens, meat or egg laying. I'm not talking about the dual purpose breeds like Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks but the meat or egg laying hybrids. The various broilers are designed to be butchered early. The commercial hybrid egg laying hens are designed for one or two seasons of high production of laying relatively large eggs for the body size which can lead to medical issues. They are bred to not live long.

Some people like to maximize their genetic potential. They feed them in a way that they grow large for their breed or lay lots of big eggs for their body size. I don't want mine so big for the breed that they can't fly down from the roosts without potentially injuring themselves. I don't want them laying eggs that are so large that they are at risk for prolapse, becoming egg bound, or risk internal laying. Feed them in moderation, not excess.

Keep water clean. I'm not talking about them drinking from a mud puddle, I'm talking about poop or trash building up in their drinking water to the point it becomes putrid.

Watch their social interaction. They can be a danger to each other. If you see excess fighting to the point that one is getting injured do something about it. There will be some pecking order stuff going on, that's just normal, but if it gets bloody there is a risk.

One of my favorite topics, room. Behavioral problems can be exaggerated if they are crowded. Some flocks can get along in pretty tight spaces but some can't. Another potential issue is that certain parasites or diseases can build up in poop. If you keep it dry you avoid most of the risks from things like Coccidiosis but certain parasites or disease bearing microbes can live better where the poop builds up. If you keep them in a small space absolutely keep it as dry as you can but you probably need to manage that poop, either composting it, removing it, just do something so it doesn't build up. Or have a large enough space outside that their poop is spread out and does not accumulate, like they free range or have big grassy area for them to forage. Manage the poop in the coop too.

These are basically my thoughts on longevity only. Not productivity, not a lot of other goals. Some of my personal goals and preferences are reflected as to why I do certain things. I think luck and heredity are probably the two biggest factors, you probably don't have a lot of control over those. Giving them more room probably helps but may expose them to predators.

Very interesting replies so far, thanks!

We are meeting a lot of these suggestions/criteria already but I think the key issues are feed and damp conditions in our case. Will be interesting to see if any other replies also suggest that.

The chickens have a lot of space (both inside and out), ramps to come down from their roosts/perches, multiple waterers which are refreshed pretty regularly and they are primarily fed layers pellets BUT my Mum feeds them a lot of nonsense too. I think that is possibly the crux of it.

I also feel that parasites are a big issue, even with all the space sometimes their run area can be very damp simply because we’re in the U.K. and at times it rains a lot. I think they pick a lot of things up from earthworms, bugs etc. We do treat them with a wormer and I check and treat for external parasites too, but I often feel like unknown bugs bring them down in the end.

I have the following older birds.

Buff Orpington - 10 yrs
4 Cream Legbars - 9 yrs
2 Home-made Easter Eggers - 8 yrs
3 Black Copper Marans - 5 yrs

All the above have finished molting but not laying now. The Buff Orp no longer lays. All will get to live out their life here.

I agree with all the suggestions listed in the posts above. All are excellent advice and great "rules of the road" so to speak. If you and your parents have birds that are 5 years old you may already be on your way to having long some lived birds.

I’ve tried to explain that hens can live 10+ and even way beyond in some cases, if they are well-managed.

A few may live to 10+. More will die much younger. Sometimes you will not know why they died.

my parents think their oldest chickens are ancient and essentially just expect most not to live past a few years.

I totally know what you mean but a five year old hen is a middle age girl at minimum. Her egg production has dropped off quite a bit from her 1-2 year.

I just want you to understand all chickens won't live to 10+ years even with the best of care. :)

My chickens are my pets and they get the best care I can give them and high quality feed. I would echo what someone else said earlier, breeding is hugely important. I bought 10 in an assortment from Hoover Hatchery through Tractor Supply. Never again. I’ve lost my Orpington, my White Rock, and (just today) my Sapphire Gem, all this year before they even turned three years old. I’ve learned my lesson. If you want long lived birds buy top quality chicks. This has been a horribly painful year for my flock. I’ve fully intended to let my girls live out their golden years but these haven’t had the chance.

NanaK is right, a few MAY live to an old age, it is unrealistic to expect them all to do so.

I have often wondered if climate has something to do with it, some climates would be easier for birds to live in. I wonder if last weeks -28 degrees stressed birds that even though they came through just fine, maybe it will shorten their lives.

I mostly have hatchery birds and crossbreeds - a 4-5 year old bird is a very old bird in my flock. Maybe it is because I feed kitchen scraps, and scratch, and let them out to peck, but I think the eggs taste better.

To be honest - I think that this idea is setting up people to feeling guilty when their birds or most of their birds do not live to an old age. I just don't worry about it. I raise my birds more like your mother. It works for me. They have a great life, and generally a quick end.

I think sometimes people with a great deal of sensibility, should not get chickens, they feel so bad when they die. I feel bad too, but I have been raised with animals my whole life, lived in a small community my whole life, been to countless funerals and am comfortable with the fact of death. And less confident, that I really have much to change it. Death comes to all life.

I agree with RidgeRunner (I generally do) I think it is more the luck of the draw, than great management. Even in people, sometimes people with great lifestyles die young, and sometimes you will meet a smoking, drinking, wild living man or woman that lives a very long time.

I am not sure I understand the goal of long lived chickens...I mean, I don't prevent my all my chickens from having a long life. I am glad they are alive when I go down there, but it is not a goal of mine to have 10 year old chickens.
Mrs K

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom