The Sizzle Thread!

Quote:
Is it possible that the parent's aren't who you think they are? It is entirely possible for the cross you mentioned to have offspring with the frizzle gene, they would have gotten it from the frizzled silkie. But I'm pretty sure silkie feathering is recessive so if 2 chickens that show silkie feathers breed, they will produce all silkied offspring. Because it is recessive both parents have to be homozygous recessive for the gene to express itself, which could not produce a chick with the hard feathering gene. Sorry thats confusing...

Quote: Absolutely certain who the parents are. The silkies are all separate and I have one frizzled Silkie in with them (girl) and she's not even a good example of a frizzled silkie lol. She's got a huge crest, but no beard and not really all that frizzly, but I can tell she has frizzled Silkie feathers.

I have an actual hard feathered frizzle rooster, but he was nowhere near the Silkies who are all kept in a different room in pens. Unless my time is overlapping... He got attacked really badly by a dog and we thought he might not make it so we put him in the heated room with the Silkies.. but that was after I collected eggs for hatching, and he is so far off Silkie type that it surprises me such an adorable sizzle can come from him lol.

This is the frizzled Silkie we have - Hope

This is the first generation of us attempting to make sizzles but he was attacked really badly by the dog - punctured a lung too. I am happy to report he is 100% back to normal. :)

Also here is the one in question as a day old chick:

Last edited:
The one in question, in the pics, it sort of looks like its feathers are shredded. Is that an accurate representation? Or are they hard? Maybe its just a throwback. Just because 2 Silkies SHOULD produce chicks with Silkie feathers, doesn't mean they always do...
And, I think your frilkie is adorable!

I had the same thing happen but backwards. I had a black silkie rooster with 3 sizzle hens and hatched out 3 sizzle chicks and 1 frizzled sizzle. Not sure how it happens but they are sweet birds. Here is mine, not sure if its a boy or a girl yet.

The frilkies are normal when breeding Sizzles. Silkied feathers are recessive, they require two copies to present themselves. Your Sizzles should carry one gene for shredded feathers and one for hard feathers, the Silkie should carry two for shredded. When paired together, depending on how the genes pair up, some chicks will get 2 copies of the shredded feather gene and end up with Silkie feathers and others will get genes for normal feathers. Then you add in the frizzle mutation, some get that and some don't. So, you end up with normal Silkies, frizzled Silkies, regular feathered smooths and regular feathered Sizzles.

I hope that makes sense?

I love my frizzled Silkies, I think they're SO cute!

I don't use anything fancy, just a composition notebook. I put which birds are in which breeding pens (which isn't super hard because I don't have a ton of them). Then, as I collect eggs for hatching, I mark which egg came from which pen as I collect, then keep track of who hatches from where. Chicks do get bread or zip ties for a while so I can keep track of them until they grow up, then they're added to whichever breeding pen is appropriate for them. That's it, not the best system in the world, but it works well enough I suppose.

They seem half frizzled silkie feathers and half hard feathers LOL They are far too cute for me to handle. Note: I gave eggs to a friend and this is what she got. Just wanted to understand how it happened. I want to recreate it. I haven't successfully done so again..

Back
Top Bottom