The Sizzle Thread!

This, is my beautiful sizzle/maran cross.The Father is a handsome white sizzle and the mother is a black copper marans. Obviously he/she takes after his/her dad.

He/She is 7 weeks old. Can anyone give me a guess at her/his gender? PLEASE?!!!?

My three.

Pine Cone is a real sweetheart and has just starting laying. She's also the blackest chicken I've ever seen.

These two below are brother and sister believe it or not.

Lint just started crowing. I'm going to breed him to a buff showgirl hen when they're old enough.

Stella, I absolutely love her coloring.

Last edited:

the lady I got these 3 cuties from said they are a mix betweena sizzle and a cochin bantam she said they where born in April.. I'm new to bantams but they are still getting feathers in does that seem right?

Breathing some life into this thread
smile.png

A couple of my Sizzles were feeling photogenic today, so I snapped a few pics.
The "twins", they don't have names yet. I'm hoping they're pullets. Twin #2 is a couple of weeks younger than #1.

And, just for fun, my splash Silkie Ellie Mae with her little brood. 1 frizzled Silkie, 1 frizzled Sizzle and 1 smooth Sizzle.

And a couple of Sizzle/barred Rock mixes with one of my favorite smooths in the background. I have no idea what color it is, probably a dilute splash. It's got a ring of what almost looks like lavender around its neck. I don't breed lav, so I assume its blue. It's always had a huge crest and is SO friendly (just doesn't like my camera). There's also a splash Silkie and an adorable smooth blue hiding in the background
smile.png

I need to sit out in my run for a while and get some pictures of the interesting colors that have popped out of my blue pen. The 2 whites came from my blues and I've also gotten what looks to be regular partridge, blue partridge or something along the line of lemon blue. Some of them have very little penciling and some none at all.

Hey everyone! Chicken newbie here. We have 10 right now of a now of a mixed flock. Considering getting a few sizzles to add to our grouping. Anyone know how they are in cold temps? Can they tolerate it? We live in Wisconsin. Our winters can get quite chilly.

I don't see Wisconsin cold temps (I'm in Tenn.), but I don't treat my Sizzles and Silkies any different than the rest of my birds. We do see temperatures down into the -teens. They live in an uninsulated coop and are allowed access to the run all winter long (even if I have to trudge down to the coops in the snow and ice to let them out, ugh). I just make sure they have a dry, draft free place to go if they choose.
Mine seem to do better in the cold, they struggle a bit with the summer heat!

I don't see Wisconsin cold temps (I'm in Tenn.), but I don't treat my Sizzles and Silkies any different than the rest of my birds. We do see temperatures down into the -teens. They live in an uninsulated coop and are allowed access to the run all winter long (even if I have to trudge down to the coops in the snow and ice to let them out, ugh). I just make sure they have a dry, draft free place to go if they choose.
Mine seem to do better in the cold, they struggle a bit with the summer heat!

Silkies are native to the Himalayan regions of China. They will do quite fine in cold weather so long as they are dry and out of drafts

The latest news on Smokey Joe was that he was settled with a Silkie breeder in Prunedale, CA who absolutely loves him. I guess there may be more news of him in the future.

Here's some recent pics of our pair, "Razzle and Dazzle"...I have some questions...Can we breed them directly with a silkie rooster and get a % of sizzles? or do you have to only breed frizzle cochin and silkie to get the trait? Can they breed with polish and make pizzles?!?! I saw someone mention generations so I'm thinking we can breed these 2 and expect a % are curled, smooth and normal? Thank you in advance!

If you scroll down real fast it's like a movie! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom