The Sizzle Thread!

My understanding is if a bird doesn't show frizzles it does not carry the gene as it is a dominant gene. Can you post pics of all birds in question, including the chicks?

I've been reading about the frizzle modifier gene, though I'm still not entirely sure how it works but basically what I am reading is that it is a completely separate gene that "dilutes" the frizzle gene. This is what give you the frizzled silkies, the ones with silkie feathering. I'm wondering if it is possible she may have this and it is hiding the frizzle very well?

I've been reading about the frizzle modifier gene, though I'm still not entirely sure how it works but basically what I am reading is that it is a completely separate gene that "dilutes" the frizzle gene. This is what give you the frizzled silkies, the ones with silkie feathering. I'm wondering if it is possible she may have this and it is hiding the frizzle very well?

The frizzled silkie is actually just a frizzled bird with the barbless (silkie) feathering. I don't believe it has anything to do with a modifier gene, but then again I have no idea what the modifier gene is. But basically a frizzle sizzle to a silkie can give 1 of 4 possibilities: smooth sizzle, frizzled sizzle, silkie, frizzled silkie. I can't wait to see pictures! It's all a little confusing. But if you have sizzles or even frizzled silkies chicks then your silkie girl had to be breed by a sizzle. No way around it that I know of.

Last edited:
The rooster,

The sizzle rooster,

Hen with a bad hair day,

Close up of hen,

One chick,

Two chick,

Three chick

The other two chicks I sold, so no pictures of them, sorry. One looked like the first chick pictured, the other looked like the last.

Last edited:

THIS IS A PICTURE OF A VERY TINY SILKIE BABY WITH IT'S HATCH MATE TO SHOW HOW SMALL IT WAS....

My heart is breaking....i saved a baby chick(1 1/2 weeks old) two days ago, when i found her barely alive chipping in the coop...it was so tiny...i can't believe i hadn't noticed how tiny it was.. it must have been kicked around ...i grabbed it up, got it warm, saw that it had pasty butt and took care of that...at night i put it back under the momma hen, in the morning i kept it inside, under a heat lamp with some of it's hatch mates... i made the mistake today, when it got sunny, by putting it back with it's momma(didn't want it to forget her) in the run... ... i found it dead 15 minute later, it looked like it had been squished ....it happened so fast. I knew it was too little... .i will never do that again...i just hate learning lesson like this :(

The rooster,

The sizzle rooster,

Hen with a bad hair day,

Close up of hen,

One chick,

Two chick,

Three chick

The other two chicks I sold, so no pictures of them, sorry. One looked like the first chick pictured, the other looked like the last.
if your chicks are frizzled then the frizzled sizzle is most likely the baby daddy.
there IS a frizzled modifier gene out there no one knows how rare it is. but i wouldn't put any bets on the white silkie boy being the father.
the frizzle modifier gene works be unfrizzleing the frizzles feather, in theory you could have a frizzle sizzle or frizzled silkie that look just like a smooth sizzle or silkie.
there has been a few birds that have poped up here and with other breeders i know of that look smooth except for say a crest that cowlicks backwards or a curl or two in the neck or tail feathers. i'm fairly certain theses are the birds that have both the frizzling gene and the modifier reversing the curl. and should be breed to smooth.
now as to why they are white?? first off they don't look like they will stay white.
it look like the older chick in the picture has cream color partridge penciling in her wings. the parents could very easily both have recessive genes that could be responsible for the color.
i also have chicks here that hatch white and fluffy, then they are speckled as young chicks and solid black and red as adults. your chicks will also most likely change in color too.
pretty babies :)

SIZZLE BREEDING.....

frizzled Sizzle + Sizzle = silkies, frizzled silkies, sizzles, frizzled sizzles. Percentages of each will vary but should be about 1/4 each.

frizzled Sizzle + Silkie = silkies, frizzled silkies, sizzles, frizzled sizzles. Percentages should favor silkie feathered birds, both frizzled or smooth.

Sizzle (smooth) + frizzled silkie = silkies, frizzled silkies, sizzles, frizzled sizzles Percentages of each will vary but also tend to favor silkies (attest for me)

Sizzle (smooth) + silkie = silkie, sizzle (smooth) should be about a 50/50 mix you shouldn't get any frizzled chicks.

Silkie + frizzled Silkie = silkie and frizzled silkie. about 50/50. you shouldn't get any sizzle chicks from this crossing.

Silkie + Silkie = 100% silkie no sizzles or frizzled chicks.

FRIZZLE BREEDING..... ( this apply to ANY frizzled chicken breed)

smooth + smooth = smooth

frizzled + smooth = 50/50 mix of both frizzled and smooth.

frizzled + frizzled = 50% frizzled, 25% smooth, 25% over frizzled or frazzled feathered birds.

THIS IS A PICTURE OF A VERY TINY SILKIE BABY WITH IT'S HATCH MATE TO SHOW HOW SMALL IT WAS....

My heart is breaking....i saved a baby chick(1 1/2 weeks old) two days ago, when i found her barely alive chipping in the coop...it was so tiny...i can't believe i hadn't noticed how tiny it was.. it must have been kicked around ...i grabbed it up, got it warm, saw that it had pasty butt and took care of that...at night i put it back under the momma hen, in the morning i kept it inside, under a heat lamp with some of it's hatch mates... i made the mistake today, when it got sunny, by putting it back with it's momma(didn't want it to forget her) in the run... ... i found it dead 15 minute later, it looked like it had been squished ....it happened so fast. I knew it was too little... .i will never do that again...i just hate learning lesson like this :(
Sorry for your loss :(
i sadly learned that same lesson with mama hen and her chicks, she did a good job hatching them in the cold but it was just to cold for her to raise them. saved the rest of the clutch. but lost the two tiny chicks.
she was a cutie too ;(

SIZZLE BREEDING.....

frizzled Sizzle + Sizzle = silkies, frizzled silkies, sizzles, frizzled sizzles. Percentages of each will vary but should be about 1/4 each.

frizzled Sizzle + Silkie = silkies, frizzled silkies, sizzles, frizzled sizzles. Percentages should favor silkie feathered birds, both frizzled or smooth.

Sizzle (smooth) + frizzled silkie = silkies, frizzled silkies, sizzles, frizzled sizzles Percentages of each will vary but also tend to favor silkies (attest for me)

Sizzle (smooth) + silkie = silkie, sizzle (smooth) should be about a 50/50 mix you shouldn't get any frizzled chicks.

Silkie + frizzled Silkie = silkie and frizzled silkie. about 50/50. you shouldn't get any sizzle chicks from this crossing.

Silkie + Silkie = 100% silkie no sizzles or frizzled chicks.

FRIZZLE BREEDING..... ( this apply to ANY frizzled chicken breed)

smooth + smooth = smooth

frizzled + smooth = 50/50 mix of both frizzled and smooth.

frizzled + frizzled = 50% frizzled, 25% smooth, 25% over frizzled or frazzled feathered birds.
The bold part confuses me, is this because sizzles (both frizzle and smooth) hide the barbless feather gene?

The bold part confuses me, is this because sizzles (both frizzle and smooth) hide the barbless feather gene?

I think she meant to type "Silkies" not Sizzles. Right, @Theresa sla ?? I didn't think you could get Silkie by breeding Frizzled Sizzle to Smooth Sizzle, although she typed Frizzled Sizzle + Silkie underneath that so now I'm confused as well. LOL

Last edited:
I think she meant to type "Silkies" not Sizzles. Right, @Theresa sla ?? I didn't think you could get Silkie by breeding Frizzled Sizzle to Smooth Sizzle, although she typed Frizzled Sizzle + Silkie underneath that so now I'm confused as well. LOL
nope! i meant sizzles :)
the silkie feathering gene is recessive so sizzles all carry the genes for silkie feathering (barbless feathering) smooth or frizzle doesn't matter.
so the two parents with recessive silkie feathering gene, will give you silkie offspring!!

*although if your just starting off with say a cochin and a silkie cross. the first cross will give you all sizzles (barbed feathered birds) that is because the cochin will NOT carry any silkie feathering gene (barbless gene) but after they have been crossed with silkie you have to assume they are carrying the barbless/silkie gene.

*in the long run it is going to possible to breed out the recessive silkie feathering gene, but it will be hard because you can't tell if they have the gene or not just by looking at them.

Back
Top Bottom