The Sizzle Thread!

double checking the chart i for got one more line....

sizzle (smooth) + sizzle (smooth) = silkie, sizzle (smooth) no frizzles should come from this pairing.

here are a couple of my new mottled silkie chicks, they are great examples of recessive genes.
they are from jet black F1 sizzle (smooth) parents.
they show how recessive genes can pop up even if the parents don't show what genetic surprises they are hiding.

double checking the chart i for got one more line.... sizzle (smooth) + sizzle (smooth) = silkie, sizzle (smooth) no frizzles should come from this pairing. here are a couple of my new mottled silkie chicks, they are great examples of recessive genes. they are from jet black F1 sizzle (smooth) parents. they show how recessive genes can pop up even if the parents don't show what genetic surprises they are hiding.
They look incredible! I love their coloring. Good work!

nope! i meant sizzles :)
the silkie feathering gene is recessive so sizzles all carry the genes for silkie feathering (barbless feathering) smooth or frizzle doesn't matter.
so the two parents with recessive silkie feathering gene, will give you silkie offspring!!

*although if your just starting off with say a cochin and a silkie cross. the first cross will give you all sizzles (barbed feathered birds) that is because the cochin will NOT carry any silkie feathering gene (barbless gene) but after they have been crossed with silkie you have to assume they are carrying the barbless/silkie gene.

*in the long run it is going to possible to breed out the recessive silkie feathering gene, but it will be hard because you can't tell if they have the gene or not just by looking at them.

Ok, so just to make sure I'm following this correctly...I have a frizzled sizzle pullet that I hatched from my Sizzle Roo over my Silkies. If I use her with a smooth sizzle roo who also came from from a sizzle and silkie are they likely to throw me silkie babies as well as the expected sizzles?

I woke up to an email from Sheri Minkner saying Im next up for hatching eggs!!!! Im so excited. I have a partridge roo from her eggs and lots of grand babies from eggs of her, Im really hoping to hatch out some porcelain and more partridge.
smile.png
Best way to wake up!

and @Theresa sla every bird I see you post is incredible. How did you get started? I really love the variety you're getting. How many color pens do you have going on? If you dont mind sharing that is. Im just really interested in a lot of your projects Ive seen.

Last edited:
Ok, so just to make sure I'm following this correctly...I have a frizzled sizzle pullet that I hatched from my Sizzle Roo over my Silkies. If I use her with a smooth sizzle roo who also came from from a sizzle and silkie are they likely to throw me silkie babies as well as the expected sizzles?
yup! exactly right :)

I woke up to an email from Sheri Minkner saying Im next up for hatching eggs!!!! Im so excited. I have a partridge roo from her eggs and lots of grand babies from eggs of her, Im really hoping to hatch out some porcelain and more partridge.
smile.png
Best way to wake up!

and @Theresa sla every bird I see you post is incredible. How did you get started? I really love the variety you're getting. How many color pens do you have going on? If you dont mind sharing that is. Im just really interested in a lot of your projects Ive seen.
Thanks you that is very kind of you to say :)
i started about 3-4 years again just hatching enough for myself started with cuckoo and blue silkie mixes (sizzles) and grow from there. added colors from there.
LOVE looking up genetic tidd bits and figuring out how things work. and now i'm in the process of building a sizzle barn for my color projects, 20 pens, 4 foot by 6 foot inside and 30 foot out side run (10 ft covered) and 20 smaller 4by 4 pens above each larger pen.
the goal is to have 20 sizzle color project 8-10 birds each for the larger pens with outside runs. and a pair or trio living in the top bunks of the same color. i'm working on the automatic heated waterer system right now. and working on the roof more tomorrow. hope to have things move in ready by christmas :)
sizzle project colors here are,
1 Millie& blue millie, 2 Salmon& blue salmon, 3 Columbian, 4 Paint, 5 Mottled and blue mottled, 6 Red, 7 Cuckoo, 8 Blue/Splash, 9 Black, 10 white, 11 Partridge & blue partridge, 12 Silver partridge, 13 Red plye, 14 Gold laced 15 Silver laced, 16 Buff laced, 17 Crele (partridge cuckoo) 18 porcelain (blue cream) 19 lavender & lavender cuckoo 20 Dunn chocolate/ Khaki sizzles.
a lot of the colors are only 1 or 2 generation in some are many, many generation in. but i love seeing progress with every hatch :)

They look incredible! I love their coloring. Good work!
Thanks! but i can't take the credit for these cuties, i do have a mottled project started here.
but these are from Aarron Hunsinger's mottled project. i was lucky enough to snag these up well before he is offering any for sale to the public.
I think next fall he plan to be ready to offer pairs for sale if everything go's as planed :)

Thanks you that is very kind of you to say :)
i started about 3-4 years again just hatching enough for myself started with cuckoo and blue silkie mixes (sizzles) and grow from there. added colors from there.
LOVE looking up genetic tidd bits and figuring out how things work. and now i'm in the process of building a sizzle barn for my color projects, 20 pens, 4 foot by 6 foot inside and 30 foot out side run (10 ft covered) and 20 smaller 4by 4 pens above each larger pen.
the goal is to have 20 sizzle color project 8-10 birds each for the larger pens with outside runs. and a pair or trio living in the top bunks of the same color. i'm working on the automatic heated waterer system right now. and working on the roof more tomorrow. hope to have things move in ready by christmas :)
sizzle project colors here are,
1 Millie& blue millie, 2 Salmon& blue salmon, 3 Columbian, 4 Paint, 5 Mottled and blue mottled, 6 Red, 7 Cuckoo, 8 Blue/Splash, 9 Black, 10 white, 11 Partridge & blue partridge, 12 Silver partridge, 13 Red plye, 14 Gold laced 15 Silver laced, 16 Buff laced, 17 Crele (partridge cuckoo) 18 porcelain (blue cream) 19 lavender & lavender cuckoo 20 Dunn chocolate/ Khaki sizzles.
a lot of the colors are only 1 or 2 generation in some are many, many generation in. but i love seeing progress with every hatch :)
WOW, thats a big barn you're building! Im currently designing our sizzle breeding pens. But, Im aiming much smaller for now. Of course it keeps growing everyday. Id love to see pictures of your barn and pens if you dont mind sharing. And Im loving those color combos, I need to learn more about the partridge cuckoo and breeding because I have 1 surprise pullet and she is gorgeous, so I would love to work on breeding that color more. Right now Im mainly focusing on porcelain, partridge, silver partridge/greys and cuckoo. And my son is doing a random sizzle breeding project. I better limit how much I talk to you because you're going to make me want ALOT more!
gig.gif
Seriously, lavender cuckoo!!! Mottleds!!! I have silkie envy
smile.png
With lavender cuckoo is it simply breeding lavender to cuckoo and saving some of those chicks (would they be split?) then breeding those chicks back to lavender? Im guessing some would be cuckoo some not, and some lavender some not. I may be way off on this, but Im very interested. I won't even try to start with mottleds, but I will be watching for pairs/eggs in the future. Is Facebook the best way to find sizzles/silkies and see some of the color projects out there?

What do you guys think of this? The mother is a paint silkie, father is black breasted red sizzle. What would I call this? What could I use this for, if anything? I have this smooth feathered one and a frizzle the same color/pattern. They were both birds I planned to sell as pet quality, but I am wondering if I can use this in a paint breeding project? Am I correct in assuming her dominant white genotype is Ii because of the red leakage? If this were bred to say black, could it possibly result in paints?

Back
Top Bottom