The Stable Horror Story(Not an actual horror story)

Nan5634

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
Pennsylvania
This lady bought an abused horse and she spent a LOT of money to fix him up. So she keeps him in a stable. She got behind on her payments so guess what the stable did? They SOLD HER HORSE!!!!! I couldn't believe anyone would do such a thing! It wasn't even their property. It's like they stole it. People like that make me fume with anger. The horse was perfectly sound and she spent thousands of dollars on it. Unbelievable. Post and tell me what you think.

yeah, a lot of the barns i go to can do this.

most don't unless the owner disappears for months on end, but what usually i see happen is the horse owner gets so far behind they just relinquish ownership willingly.

it's rare that the barn will just up and sell the horse after a month.

maybe this lady was a bad boarder in other ways?

Just more proof that if you board any animal you MUST read the contract.

And if they dont' have a contract, INSIST on one, including a clause for what happens if you fall behind on your financial obligations.

This goes for dogs, cats, anything where you are boarding a pet or livestock for more than over night.

Sorry this happened to your friend, but she probably has little recourse if it was in the contract.

I boarded horses for many years...luckily I have them at my house now. I agree that this is common practice for many boarding barns. She should check out her contract...

Sorry that happened to her!

That's a shame to hear. It's most definitely common practice, HOWEVER, they should have warned her first - verbally and in writing. Hope they did so.

That is a pretty standard clause in the contract. If you look at it from the stable owners side they are feeding the horse and cleaning up after it. It is costing them money to have the horse there if the woman isn't holding up her end of the deal.
I have a good friend that owns a boarding stable and it happens all too often that the horse owners don't show up for months on end. In the meantime she is feeding and caring for the animal everyday. And she has to chase down the owners for the payment. She hears all the sad stories, but the sad stories don't pay for the feed. In the meantime she has people on waiting lists wanting to board their horses but she doesn't have the room for them.
So, while it sounds cold hearted, what other choice do the stable owners have? They are trying to run a business.
She is currently dealing with a none paying boarder and she would much rather have the owner hold up to their end of the deal than to sell their horse. With the horse market being what it is if she lets it go on too long she won't be able to recover what the boarder owes her, even if she does sell the horse.
Just presenting another outlook.

That is sad to hear but it does happen. My parents even did it. They had sold one of there mustangs to a couple that also boarded it my parents house. They paid a lot for him and he was a great ride. They got behind on paying the baording and feed and all. Even wrote my parents bad checks over it and finally my parents took him to a sale barn and sold him.

You really have to read all writing on even the littlest thing.

Stables can do that and the laws about how long they have to wait vary from state to state. If I ran a boarding stable I would try and help but I would have to do the same thing myself as the boarding bills normally pay for the feed and hay that you buy to care for them. I've had my horses at boarding stables before and seen horses sold after 2 months of non-payment sometimes they even get lucky and get the registration papers changed over to the stable so then when the horse is sold the new person can have the papers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom