the sultan thread

I have some chickens with bumblefoot on the top between the toes. The area is swollen but I've lanced it and no puss or anything. Suggestions? Would penicillin shots help?

You need to hit the Bumble Foot threads, usually though everyone cleanses and soak the feet, recipes vary a bit but Epson salt is common.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...our-chickens-with-surgery-graphic-pics.47705/

I have not had this problem in my flock... knock on the internet wood, but I definetly would support my bird with vitamins and possibly a natural tea that supports the immune system as their water. Neem leaf tea might help comes pretty well recomnded. I plan to order Neem leaves, Green tea might help, or if you prefer some folks are using fish antiobotics for emergency situations.

We adopted these 2 sweeties with the assumption they were Polish but I'm pretty sure they are Sultans. They are 9 weeks old. Is it too early to tell if they are hens or roosters?
11-weeks.jpg

Ok, I'm back. My sultan hen seems stable, but not really improving. I have completed the course of treatment for both bumblefoot (hers was mild/mostly healed already) and mites (again, pretty mild--but I hit her with a combination of ivermectin and the gas and A&D remedy--also treated the legs of the whole flock and cleaned and dusted the coop).

My sultan hen, Snowdrop, is still in quarantine. She eats and drinks enthusiastically when I put food/water right under her beak, but is otherwise not motivated to seek it out. Two days ago I noticed she had bright green poop for the first time. I read that is bile in the poop, which could be a sign of many things, including both malnutrition and infection and even coccidiosis. I started her on a Hail Mary cocktail of probiotics, antibiotics, corid, and electolytes, and gave her undiluted nutridrench by syringe. At first I gave her he cocktail by syringe, too, but then i found she would drink plenty if I sprinkled some mealworms in the water bowl. The green poop has stopped, but her original symptoms continue. She is on day 3 of the cocktail.

She lays mostly in one spot, and walks only backwards 99% of the time. She will take 5-15 steps backwards until she bumps into something and/or comes to rest. I have read this could be an early sign of wry neck or crook neck, which in turn can be a result of injury due to vaulted skulls--prevalent in silkies. Are sultans also prone to wry neck? Does that sound like what she could have? I can start her on the blue egg brown egg regimen for that if it seems like the right diagnosis.

*I will cross post this in the injury forum, but thought you Sultan aficionados might have good insight. Thank you!!

Just got our first sultan... and then read that they may be bullied if in a flock? We have all sorts of breeds (RIR, RIRxLeghorn, cream legbars, polish, silver laced Wyandot, Jersey Giants, and many more)... Do you think she will be fine with the flock? She's only about 1.5 weeks old now and we have her with 11 other peeps.

Attachments

• IMG_1445.JPG
    IMG_1445.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 9
Just got our first sultan... and then read that they may be bullied if in a flock? We have all sorts of breeds (RIR, RIRxLeghorn, cream legbars, polish, silver laced Wyandot, Jersey Giants, and many more)... Do you think she will be fine with the flock? She's only about 1.5 weeks old now and we have her with 11 other peeps.
I had one sultan hen in with a mixed flock of 16 hens of various ages, including 1 polish, 1 legbar, 1 Wyandotte, marans, buff orp, EEs, etc. and everyone got along just fine. She was low in the pecking order, especially being smaller, but nobody caused any trouble.

To follow up on posts from last month, I just wanted to thank you all for your help, and let you know that my Sultan hen, Snowdrop, gave up the ghost yesterday. I had taken her to the vet at the beginning of the month, and she didn't have much to add that I hadn't already tried, but she did say to keep going with the vitamin regimen for wry neck for awhile. I did that and Snowdrop actually seemed to recover somewhat for a few days last week, but then regressed and finally lost interest in food and water in the last day or two, then just got very weak and passed. I sent her for a necropsy and got the preliminary report back today--suspected metal poisoning from two screws in her gullet. I feel terrible--she must've found a few stray ones that fell and got lost during our coop expansion last year. I'm thinking of getting a metal detector and trying to scan the yard for more. It's a big space, so we probably can't make it 100% safe, but at least now we know there's an issue. I'll update this if the detailed results turn up anything different, but I wanted to be sure to post the update so that maybe others can learn from this as well.

Anyone else have experience with getting Sultans from Ideal Poultry? I have one who's absolutely wonderful, but is definitely missing some of the special features, unless it's just a late bloomer. Where's the funny feathered head? And what's with the single comb? But it has the slate skin, five toes, and the neck is getting fluffier by the day.

I'm wondering if they aren't as pure as the company claims, or maybe I got a dud. ;)

IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0462.JPG IMG_0332.JPG IMG_0498.JPG

Back
Top Bottom