the sultan thread

It's been a while since I've been here. Not too sure I like the new forum layout.
I've had some progress on my colored sultans though. One of my sultan/brahma hens hatched out some eggs and one chick was a perfect little black sultan..then my cochin rooster ATE it!!! So now no more broody momma hens in the yard, I'm pulling eggs and incubating. Seems I have a raccoon too who goes into my boxes at night and eats eggs if I do not get them pulled in every evening now too.

Happy news though, today I had another little black sultan chick hatch. It's a real hodpodge of chicks coming since I have a sultan rooster, standard cochin barred rooster and a black shamo rooster. The cochin and sultan mostly keep the shamo away, but I have had a few long legged chicks appear :( And I find this gorgeous little silver fluff ball cochin and fall in love, pick her up and discover 5 toes..RooRooRooster, you dog! So I guess my boys are not sticking to their own hens all the time. Now that I have a lot of young chicks which are mixed I plan to discontinue my standard cochins, rehome those and the shamo pair and have just my sultans running in the yard. Once my chicks grow out I'll pick the most sultan like of them and continue on in the hopes of colored sultans.

While I have not yet grown out any chicks from my blue and lavender speckled sultan/brahma hens, the ones that hatched and were eaten by Goliath (cochin roo), were beautiful chicks. They are very sultan like and born with skull vaults. I have one immature rooster outside now who I thought was a pure sultan, but as he's aging his spots are showing up more. He's lightly splashed but looks like a pure sultan. So my two mixed girls are throwing nice chicks and they will be nicer when there's no cochin or shamo thrown in there haha! It's pretty easy to tell who is fathering the chicks. Shamo have long legs, cochins are straight combed and my pure sultans or lightly mixed have head vaults and all sultan features.

22007546_2065888736770105_97648291376750179_n.jpg

They are the sweetest birds I have ever raised. Their are quiet, calm, very gentle and not aggressive. I have about 25 of them at the moment that I have raised and hatched. The boys crow just like any other. they take to confinement well and do not stray very far from the coop. You do however may need to trim around they eyes a little ifyou want them to see ok and the feet feathers do break and bleed sometimes. Not big issues. just a little more work. Mine are laying a medium size egg about 4-5 a week.

sultan2.jpg sultan.jpg sultan3.jpg
My barred sultan teenager. I've been trying for a while now to get colored sultans by crossing in standard cochins and a couple of half sultan, half brahma mixed hens along with my pure sultans. Every time I had one I lost it to unknown reasons or predators, but FINALLY I have one who is old enough and big enough not much will go after him.

He's not great but he's a good start :) I think he's most likely from one of my half brahma hens since his foot feathering is sparse. I also have a couple of splash pullets (see pic 3, the pullet with the dark beak). I've decided to keep this young rooster and see what happens.

He has NO polish in him that I am aware of. :D

My sultan hens have gone crazy and started brooding their eggs! The girls are about 1.5years old now and lay heavily, probably 5-6 eggs a week. I have eggs all over the place, hubby is complaining. One of my girls decided since there was already a broody in the box she would just lay outside of it and went broody on the open deck. My only issue is the standard cochin rooster who wont leave the hens alone. The sultan rooster has not been very protective of them so I have a lot of little half breeds running around.

When my first sultan hen started brooding I thought she would get bored of it and leave the eggs, so I took most of them and put in the incubator. After she hatched out her first chick I started giving her back the chicks from the incubator after they hatched. She was the most vicious broody I've ever had.

Just starting down the Sultan road myself. This is my little talkative roo Igor. Will be doing a mixed white silkie and sultan run. Hoping to get that sultan puff on some white silkie crosses And could use any and all info on these guys

IMG_0009.JPG

Back
Top Bottom