The Sussex thread!

Does anyone have or tell me where I can find some brown Sussex? Thank you

Brown Sussex might be a hard one to find, I haven't heard of anyone having them. I know red and buff is available.
I have red sussex from SandHill Preservation Center, beautiful birds, and very calm, but I don't plan on breeding them. They did have correct white legs feet and skin, good color in the hackles. Some of the cockerels had black chests which didn't bother me just culled them out and kept a couple correct one's. The off color in the reds seems to be in everybody's.
While they did grow fast they didn't get very big, and they lay great, but the eggs are small, look like pale brown golfballs with just a little bit of a point.

I might try Waltz's Ark red sussex, see how they turn out. They also have buff, and all the other more popular colors, but no brown.

Last edited:
I can't seem to find the Brussbar, even in England. I am going to recreate the breed. I need the Brown Sussex to complete the breeding. Thank you so much

Dorothy
13315720_10204673407794754_220152244089166114_n.jpg

Another beautiful Dororthy photo with the with the usual stunning countryside as a background. I honestly stay subscribed to this thread just to see your beautiful pics, Johnn. I no longer have my Coronation Sussex, but I believe I a Speckled Sussex will someday be in our coop. (Kind of at the limit for now, so my own SS is a future wish.)

Yay! I can upload photos again!

Here's my 8 week old unnamed Speckled Sussex. Fingers crossed for a pullet. Long body, bottom of the pecking order, not a lick of male personality .... pink comb and mini wattles! Gah. Love watching it grow and develop those colors. :) it might be at the bottom of the social group, but it's been first to figure out how to get treats, how to bathe, how to perch, how to fly, etc. Little smarty!

Back
Top Bottom