The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Could anyone point me in the direction of a Swedish Black Hen breeder? In a few months (late winter, early spring) or whenever their birds are laying, I will be interested in purchasing eggs for hatching, but I'm having the darndest time finding anyone at all who breeds them. I get a lot of 'oh I'm not breeding them anymore' or 'I only sell chickens, not hatching eggs'. I want to get between 8 and a dozen, and my budget says hatching eggs are the only way to go!

So if you know of anyone who *reliably* breeds Svart Hona and will sell hatching eggs when their birds lay, let me know!

Are you in the U.S.? If so, Ewe Crazy Farms is the only source for Svart Hona on record. It is possible that someone else has imported them but if they have they are being silent about it.

The reason so many breeders will no longer sell hatching eggs is that the Post Office can really do a number on eggs. The Post Office is not too gentle on baby chicks either but at least they stand a greater chance of survival since the people in the PO tend to hear the chicks and handle them better. I had the PO lose a shipment of eggs. They found them later that day at the bottom of a pallet of boxes. They are in the incubator right now and will find out in 3 days whether they will hatch or not.

Are you in the U.S.? If so, Ewe Crazy Farms is the only source for Svart Hona on record. It is possible that someone else has imported them but if they have they are being silent about it.

The reason so many breeders will no longer sell hatching eggs is that the Post Office can really do a number on eggs. The Post Office is not too gentle on baby chicks either but at least they stand a greater chance of survival since the people in the PO tend to hear the chicks and handle them better. I had the PO lose a shipment of eggs. They found them later that day at the bottom of a pallet of boxes. They are in the incubator right now and will find out in 3 days whether they will hatch or not.
Yes, I'm in the US - in San Diego. The reason I am looking for eggs instead of chicks is... well, price. Next spring I intent to buy Showgirls, Cream Legbars, Silver Laced Cochin, and Sumatras. I'd like to add Svart Hona to the list, but I know I can't afford chicks (while still buying all the other eggs), so I was hoping to buy less expensive eggs.

If price is the main concern, I hate to say it but you might be waiting a while. Two young Svart Honas recently sold for $2000. There is a lot of interest in them right now because of Cemania mania. I plan on buying some from Ewe Crazy Farms when they start selling them in the Spring. Even if you find someone with Svart Hona eggs, I can't imagine them being sold for anything less than $200-$300 per egg.

You could try importing them from Europe or Canada. But then dealing with our government can be frustrating. I am trying to import eggs from another rare breed right now.

Back
Top Bottom