The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

I’ve heard some people say they’ve taken a couple extra days. Thank you for your response
It would depend on if the eggs were shipped and how long they were stored before incubating.

Then there is the incubation factor. If eggs are consistently taking longer than normal to hatch, the temp in the incubator should go up half of a degree. Too low of incubation temps will lower hatch rates too.

It would depend on if the eggs were shipped and how long they were stored before incubating.

Then there is the incubation factor. If eggs are consistently taking longer than normal to hatch, the temp in the incubator should go up half of a degree. Too low of incubation temps will lower hatch rates too.
We bought them local but did had to travel a half hour to get home afterwards. We are actually just borrowing a friends incubator because we came across these eggs before we could get one unfortunately. Okay I will probably try that! Thank you !

We bought them local but did had to travel a half hour to get home afterwards. We are actually just borrowing a friends incubator because we came across these eggs before we could get one unfortunately. Okay I will probably try that! Thank you !
I hope they hatch well for you!

I realize this thread hasn't had any activity in over a year now, but I'm hoping someone familiar with the Svarthöna breed will chime in. I recently had a hawk attack my free ranging Svarthöna rooster and thankfully he wasn't killed. The next day the hawk came back and was on the ground beside the coop trying to figure out how to get to my Svarthöna hen. Of course she was freaking out and in the fear I guess she forgot that she could go into the coop. I believe she rammed herself into the welded wire (same size a the regularly used hardware cloth) multiple times during her freak out. She ended up with a cut on the back of her comb, and two places of damage on her beak. Everything is healing up well, but I've noticed that her beak is white where she had damage. Before this, she was a good representation of the breed, in my opinion. So I'm just curious if anyone has seen this on a beak and knows if these places will stay white or will they eventually turn black again. Of course it's no big deal either way and time will tell, but I figured I'd ask. We are extremely lucky that we didn't lose these birds or any others to the hawk. I thought it was so odd that the hawk went after my pair separately. They aren't kept together so it's just like the hawk thought they looked the tastiest out of all of my birds. I suspect my rooster was attacked because out of the other roosters that are in the same areas as Zeon (the SH cock), they were probably too big. Zeon is the smallest. Thank you for your time and any input you can share

I have a Blue Maran (she has a black beak) she hurt her beak, it is in process of healing so right now has a small white bump. I am monitoring it but it seems to be fine. I am hopeful it will decrease in size and go away. If not I can do a little minor surgery on it, but I prefer to give the healing process the time it needs. We have one Black Swedish left after a Racoon attack…

Hawks are smart and will figure out how to get into a coop and chicken house if they can.

Lana the French Maran… see the white spot bump… it was a pink at first and pretty large, it is slowly shrinking.
F21B1714-A3EC-4C16-A87D-FE876C5FF72C.jpeg

Inky the Black Swedish

71A2173B-75D0-4537-9B91-243C81FF1728.jpeg

We will have to order more hatching eggs…

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy, we rescued what we believe to be a weird/low quality Svart Hona from a local farm co-op. The feet have feather tufts! Is Pacific Northwest region. Do some lineages have this foot feather trait or could it be a sign that he's not pure lineage? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 278581604_5766510066696946_830344505189521740_n.jpg
    278581604_5766510066696946_830344505189521740_n.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 17
Heyyyyyyyyyyyy, we rescued what we believe to be a weird/low quality Svart Hona from a local farm co-op. The feet have feather tufts! Is Pacific Northwest region. Do some lineages have this foot feather trait or could it be a sign that he's not pure lineage? Any thoughts?
He is handsome but mine do not have feathered legs or feet. I don't think I've heard of this on any Svarthöna. Is this the only one? He has a really sweet look. Does he have white leakage and red leakage or is it just the way I'm seeing it on my small mobile device screen? @Overo Mare @RoostersAreAwesome and @Amer are all amazing at the different breeds and will be helpful

He’s definitely a mix. He has a beard and silver leakage, plus the feathered legs, all traits a purebred svart hona would not have.

He is handsome but mine do not have feathered legs or feet. I don't think I've heard of this on any Svarthöna. Is this the only one? He has a really sweet look. Does he have white leakage and red leakage or is it just the way I'm seeing it on my small mobile device screen? @Overo Mare @RoostersAreAwesome and @Amer are all amazing at the different breeds and will be helpful
Thank you! :love

We found him in the "rooster pen" at the co-op, where people drop off roosters they don't want any more. He was $10, and they had no idea about his lineage. But, he was so beautiful, and we needed a rooster for our hens, so we just couldn't resist!

He definitely has leakage in his feathers. I'm not sure if it's red or white--it looks brown in hue, but I don't know the technical term for the color. His waddle and comb are mulberry colored. They also seem a lot smaller, and--in the case of the comb--rounder than true Svart Honas.
My husband thinks he might be a cross with an Easter-Egger or Ameraucana, but I don't know if there's other breeds with the beards and feathered feet that it might be crossed with?

Though we've kept chickens for three years now, I've never really become very familiar with chicken breed types..😅

Back
Top Bottom