The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

My beautiful SvartHona Beyoncé came to me from Cedar Crest Farm in Ohio. Lisa has absolutely gorgeous birds there, and Beyoncé is inky black with a beautiful sheen that shows gree/blue in the sun. She weighs in at around 2 1/2 pounds, not a real big girl. Good temperament. During the warmer weather she gives me about 5 smallish light light brown eggs a week. I can put her on a leash and take her places with me. She is a conversation starter. Love my Bey!!

Hello. I know it’s like three years later but I have 2 Svarts at about 6 weeks old and thought for sure one (so far) was a roo. Based on your photos, there may be home but I’m not too sure based on it’s comb. Beyonce is beautiful btw.

Quick question for you who've been raising Svart Honas... I ordered eggs from eBay and three hatched- from pip to zip was less than eight hours for all three! Once they were dried and fluffy, I transferred them to the brooder- all in great shape- eating and drinking within a half hour.

They are perfectly formed, good balance, like to be held, but... at three days old they are THE MELLOWEST chicks I've ever brooded. No running around the brooder, no chest bumping, no loud/constant cheeping.

They're pooping, eyes are clear, not pasted up, no immediate signs of failure to thrive.

Also, two are dusky black and one is dark black- is that a cockerel/pullet 'tell'? They're solid black too- no white or pink leaks.

Are Svart Honas just an exceptionally chill breed? Anyone with similar experience? Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance- I'm already in love with the all-black peeps so I hope they're just mellow.

Last edited:
Quick question for you who've been raising Svart Honas... I ordered eggs from eBay and three hatched- from pip to zip was less than eight hours for all three! Once they were dried and fluffy, I transferred them to the brooder- all in great shape- eating and drinking within a half hour.

They are perfectly formed, good balance, like to be held, but... at three days old they are THE MELLOWEST chicks I've ever brooded. No running around the brooder, no chest bumping, no loud/constant cheeping.

They're pooping, eyes are clear, not pasted up, no immediate signs of failure to thrive.

Also, two are dusky black and one is dark black- is that a cockerel/pullet 'tell'? They're solid black too- no white or pink leaks.

Are Svart Honas just an exceptionally chill breed? Anyone with similar experience? Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance- I'm already in love with the all-black peeps so I hope they're just mellow.

So... In case you find yourself asking the same question I did...

Looks like this thread isn't active any more- but it proved out that at least my Svart Hona chicks are just the chillest chicks I've ever had. They're eating, sleeping, pooping, running around- not really peeping or freaking out when I walk up to the brooder. Super healthy, just chill.

As long as they lay their 150+ eggs a year as promised- I will have Svart Honas in the rest of my flocks- super cool chickens.

Perhaps this isn't appropriate, but I'm doing some research and need a photo I can use of a Svart Hona. This is for academic purposes and will not be used for any economic gain. If anyone is willing to share I'd gladly credit the photo to the owner. :)

So... In case you find yourself asking the same question I did...

Looks like this thread isn't active any more- but it proved out that at least my Svart Hona chicks are just the chillest chicks I've ever had. They're eating, sleeping, pooping, running around- not really peeping or freaking out when I walk up to the brooder. Super healthy, just chill.

As long as they lay their 150+ eggs a year as promised- I will have Svart Honas in the rest of my flocks- super cool chickens.

Been raising Svart Hona for 4 years, they are super chill, but be warned they’ll start flying soon and if you have a brooder without a top they’ll fly right out. Just a heads up from experience.

I hatched a pair of these in mid August. I am really enjoying them, especially the pullet. She's very sweet and enjoys human affection. The cockerel is gentle and very handsome. Since we can't go by comb color, what is the average POL age for pullets? Thank you. I can't wait to read through this thread

I hatched a pair of these in mid August. I am really enjoying them, especially the pullet. She's very sweet and enjoys human affection. The cockerel is gentle and very handsome. Since we can't go by comb color, what is the average POL age for pullets? Thank you. I can't wait to read through this thread
I do not know for them specifically, but most breeds will not lay an egg until later when daylight hours get over 12 hours per day

I do not know for them specifically, but most breeds will not lay an egg until later when daylight hours get over 12 hours per day
Thank you for replying. Imagine my surprise when my Turken/Cochin cross with bright pink but NOT red comb and wattles started to lay 3 days ago, only one day after her first squat. I was totally unprepared and she's laying in her run due to my failure. I am determined to be prepared for now on. I'll keep an eye on ALL of the signs for my Zelda (Svart Hona pullet). I guess each bird will begin to lay whenever they're ready to. Thank you again. I believe my older girls are going to wait for more daylight before they start laying again. That's ok with me.

Back
Top Bottom