The Trap Nesting Thread

it have discovered that u can keep the door up two ways,one is to groove the bottom corner to seat on top of a nail thats that dark groove,but if you can put the nail really close to the front then u dont need a groove. the tip of the corner of the bottom door can sit on top the nail like in the pic.this give the birds a little more room to play with because the door now has to slide inward of the box say 1/4 of and inch before it falls.this seems to work better plus i have lesser door falls from bumping and so forth
56493_mano_012.jpg

Last edited:
I Really Like These Boxes Alot,before Now Eggs Were Just A Cluster Of Eggs.now I View Them Totally Different.i Find Myself Noticing The Behavior Patterns Of Every Bird Now.i Read Somewhere On The Site Where A Member Said "he Thought The Hens Were Trying To Outdo Each Other" In Many Ways It Really Seems That Way.one Bird Lays Then Another Comes Along Like Hey I'm Fertile Too Then She'll Grab A Box.and Then Yet Another.i Have Never Seen Any Fights Over A Nest, I Have Seen Another Hen Try To Get In The Same Box But It Didnt Work. If The Door Is Down The Bird Can Not Enter Or Exit....being The Top Of The Door Is Hinged It Stands The Bird's Head Up When They Try To Push Through.

56493_trap_nest_research_125.jpg

I Havent Had One Egg On The Ground.if They Try To Get Into An Occupied Box They Cant And After A Couple Of Minutes They Go Inside Another Box.the Key To These Doors Is The Bottom Half.i Have Found 5 -6 Inches Somewhat The Happy Medium For My Particular Birds.this Is As Far As I'm Gonna Experiment With The Designs.the Belgian Stlye Door Wins Hands Down.thanx To The Belgian Maran Club For Keeping This Artform Alive.a Picture Is Really Worth A Thousand Words!trap Nesting Lives On!!!!!

56493_mano_038.jpg
56493_nests_041.jpg

Last edited:
Ki4got-----aseel May Be Considered A Heritage Breed But Its No Where Near Dual Purpose.they Lay Around 40-100 Eggs A Year If Your Lucky.this Is Why I Consider Them Rare.

EGG LOG AFTER 17 DAYS OF TRAPNESTING U CAN CLEARLY SEE WHO IS PRODUCING.

56493_egg_log_001.jpg

56493_egg_log_003.jpg

56493_egg_log_002.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Very true, they are considered game or meat birds... not all heritage breeds were specifically dual purpose birds, many provided primarily eggs, or meat (and more than one I'm sure provided entertainment as well). If you look at the list of heritage birds, on the critical list is the Nankin. a teeny little bird that I doubt anyone relied on for meat or eggs...

I would but for 1 thing... the breed it would most benefit me, haven't hatched yet!

and I know who's laying of my bantam girls, because only 1 is! 8)

i'm not sure but curious as to know what would be the measurements for bantam size trap nests? i'm sure they would be a bit smaller,maybe for my next project.

ki4got dont forget to drop in every now and then......i'm sure any breed would adapt.......i dont think i'll ever go back to regular nest boxes.....lol.....so i'll be here all year feel free to jump in at anytime

Last edited:
as i ramble on about these nest boxes i feel a little more confident.the mrs. says i read to much.i dont think i'll ever read enough!i have a deeper relationship with my birds,i understand just a lil more than before.my flock is running smoothly and seems to be improving.i have an idea of where i'm at with a better perspective of where i wanna go.this simple box gives you solid accurate information of your birds.before, i would see my birds in the morning to feed and in the evening to feed and collect eggs.now i see them all throughout the day the trap nest demands several visits each day which i'm o.k. with because i'm collecting data straight from the birds i dont mind the new experience.i guess i'm gonna have the best egg layers on back yard chickens........

Back
Top Bottom