#3---14 EGGS
#4---09 EGGS
AUSTRALORP .....#2--OO EGGS
WYANDOTTE..............OO EGGS

TOTAL 178 EGGS

56493_029.jpg

56493_030.jpg

Last edited:
Each Bird Has A Different Laying Pattern As You See Above. This Lay Log Is Totally 100% Accurate.every Egg Logged Was Taken Out Of A Trap Nest.this Log Is Actually 32 Days Since The First Day I Started.they Started Laying Maybe A Week Or 2 Before August 30th. Now I Have A Solid Idea Of Who Is Doing What.naturally The Best Layer Will Always Stand Out First On A Log.in This Case Its A Barred Rock.her Name Is" Duece " She Layed 25 Eggs In 32 Days [best Percentage On My Yard] Never Breaks More Than 1 Day.second Best Another Barred Rock Her Name Is "uno" She Is Smaller Than Duece But Lays More Consecutive. To Date, She Has Layed 12 Days In A Row No Breaks.my Third Best Also A Barred Rock And I Can Go On And So Forth Through My Log. What Makes This Log Good Also Is They Are Just Coming Off Of Molt.now I Know Who Lays First And Who Doesnt Lay At All.thus The Cull List Takes Form.i Was Looking To Keep Birds Laying 15 Eggs Or Higher A Month. I Know Exactly Who That Is Now Without A Doubt. I HAVE 6 LAYING 15 ARE BETTER,WITH SELECTIVE BREEDING I HOPE TO ACHIEVE SAY 13 HENS LAYING 20 EGGS each,THAT WOULD BOOST PRODUCTIVITY UP TO 260 EGGS A MONTH INSTEAD OF 178 EGGS USING THE SAME NUMBER OF BIRDS.HMMMMMM I THINK I'M ON TO SOMETHING WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

Last edited:
hello again all,
today i would like to take the time out to thank backyard chickens for including this thread into the recent newsletter. just when i thought no one was reading the post. i have learned a great deal here at byc and i only hope that i have passed on a great deal as well. what really was a quirky little experiment for my own curiosity turned out to be something much much more. now that i have a little experience with the method, i see positive possibilities for improvement within my flock. others can benefit also, so i am calling for a revival of trap nesting.
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

once again thank you all here at byc for everything.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I have taken the liberty to add excerpts from several sources in order to facilitate the readers here at Backyard Chickens.Realizing most people will not go through these old text because of time constraints.Aware that many people may not read as much material as I do and many will not read the thread then go back and read the books in the links.I attempt to exhaust the thread with valid information and knowledge to the best of my ability,please forgive me for doing so!

I, myself, have been very interested and have read every word you've posted. You're doing an excellent job documenting this stuff and giving information. Just because we aren't replying doesn't mean we aren't reading! Grats on having it included in the newsletter, it's definitely a "must read" thread so far as I'm concerned.

ETA: I will be starting on my own trap nests today. I've finally decided exactly how I will do it and what I will use. I tend to ruminate a long time before doing something, only to end up doing it differently than I planned LOL - but usually successful. I'll post pics when I get something made.

Last edited:
galanie---thanks again,yeah i realized that after so many views and so little responses that maybe everyone was speechless due to lack of knowledge about trap nesting.Many people simply were not aware of past achievements in the poultry field.

Manoz ur ideas are great but geared more toward those with large flocks. Most BYCers have small flocks, I consider myself as having a larger flock of 13. As such I can tell when a pullet is ready to start laying for the first time. I watch for her egg until she lays,and then I can tell from the others even of the same breed. Just like they each have a distinctive name they have a distinctive egg. BTW 4H teaches how to monitor egg laying . U might want to approach leaders in ur community to see if they would consider this as a project. Also congrats on being in the Newslettter....that's why I read ur posts. I also have subscribed to it.

Last edited:
BWKats------hi and thanx for posting,
With regards to that post,I thought I had a rather small flock to be honest with you.True enough the books in the links do indeed gear their operations towards larger flocks.If memory serves me correct I think the smallest flock was like 50 split into 2 houses of 25 with 2 roos each flock.I'm even less than that so I guess a valid question arises from your post,and that is; how small of a poultry flock can trap nesting be applied to? True each bird has a distinctive egg,that egg also changes throughout the birds life.Not every bird will lay the same size egg every time she lays. A bird may lay a small egg today and a large egg tomorrow. How would you identify such a layer in your flock with the method you have described??
idunno.gif
Sounds like a bit of guesswork......no disrespect to you or 4H but trap nesting has already taught me how to monitor my egg layers. Btw, I am a leader in my community,I considered it a project for my own back yard first and foremost.Now I have presented it to Byc doing just that! Trying to gather support from poultry lovers all over the world.Indeed, my community is worldwide. Thanx again for posting please feel free to come back at any time.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom