The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Maybe mine are not typical of the breed but they are kind of middle of the road as regards docility but one of the shyest, if not the shyest of my mixed flock. I have a lot of different breeds and some of them pretty flighty, like leghorns, but they will all eat out of my hand except the welsummers. I have legbar hatch mates of these birds that will come and take treats from my hand whilst the welsummers watch, but they won't take anything until I put it on the ground and step back, even the cockerels. They are pretty birds though and mine are laying lovely dark eggs (slightly darker than my BCM in fact).

Unfortunately I find that the eggs come out with their bloom still pretty wet and the bedding in the nest box sticks to it. I have to wash them to get it off and the brown coating has a tendency to come off when you scrub it, even gently, so my beautiful eggs have scuff marks on them by the time they are put in the egg box. None of my other eggs have this problem, although the marans coating comes off a bit if I have to scrub hard to get dirt off, but I don't have the problem with the bedding sticking to them like the welsummer eggs. Has anyone else noticed this problem or is it just my welsummers?

@Ponyfeather My wellie girl was top bird in her hatch mate unit. When she was a chick she liked to be held, but after integrating she does not like to be touched but still comes readily to eat from hand. My light brahmas hated to be held as chicks and now they come over and loved to be picked up and held...go figure<shrug>. Friendliness depends on the individual bird rather than breed.

@rebrascora my wellie also has copious wet bloom, sometimes there are 'drops' of it on the egg that take a long time to dry. I don't have to much trouble with the straw nest bedding sticking, but they can get 'smeared'.

Last edited:
Maybe mine are not typical of the breed but they are kind of middle of the road as regards docility but one of the shyest, if not the shyest of my mixed flock. I have a lot of different breeds and some of them pretty flighty, like leghorns, but they will all eat out of my hand except the welsummers. I have legbar hatch mates of these birds that will come and take treats from my hand whilst the welsummers watch, but they won't take anything until I put it on the ground and step back, even the cockerels. They are pretty birds though and mine are laying lovely dark eggs (slightly darker than my BCM in fact).

Unfortunately I find that the eggs come out with their bloom still pretty wet and the bedding in the nest box sticks to it. I have to wash them to get it off and the brown coating has a tendency to come off when you scrub it, even gently, so my beautiful eggs have scuff marks on them by the time they are put in the egg box. None of my other eggs have this problem, although the marans coating comes off a bit if I have to scrub hard to get dirt off, but I don't have the problem with the bedding sticking to them like the welsummer eggs. Has anyone else noticed this problem or is it just my welsummers?
you shouldnt scrumb or wash your eggs bloom off ..its there to protect the eggs..just my opinion but i have read this in other places as well ..i just let them dry and then into the carton they go ..heck a little something from the farm on the shell just shows they are fresh..i clean them with my finger nail and scrap the heavy stuff ,straw , poo or what ever off..but i never wash them in water until i use them and thats only if they are real dirty ..

I just hatched out my second batch, one of them being pure welsummer, i have nothing to compare this chick to in terms of male or female. I know they are easy enough to sex, but i have never done it before! I thought too at first, but the eyeliner is getting more distinct and feathers are growing super fast! 3 days old today!

Back
Top Bottom