The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Are Wellies okay to add with other breeds of chickens in your flock? I'll have 12 BO's, 5 Speckled Sussex and then 10 Wellies, give or take depending on how many end up being roo's. I just read a review on MCM hatchery website that said they can be bullies to other birds? :(

Should also mention that I have 8 BO's now (2 years old, 7 hens and 1 roo), the other birds I'm adding in a couple weeks. The babies be in their own brooder in the coop with the bigs.

Are Wellies okay to add with other breeds of chickens in your flock? I'll have 12 BO's, 5 Speckled Sussex and then 10 Wellies, give or take depending on how many end up being roo's. I just read a review on MCM hatchery website that said they can be bullies to other birds?
sad.png

Personality traits like this are not uniform by breed, but vary by the genetic line of the birds and even individual personalities. My Welsummers are much more "mellow" than my Rhodebars or (especially) the Barred Rocks.

Any hen can bully others if the situation is right. Since yours are younger, I consider it unlikely to be a problem for you.

Personality traits like this are not uniform by breed, but vary by the genetic line of the birds and even individual personalities. My Welsummers are much more "mellow" than my Rhodebars or (especially) the Barred Rocks.

Any hen can bully others if the situation is right. Since yours are younger, I consider it unlikely to be a problem for you.

Thank you :) That makes me feel better! There's so much unknown with chickens, for me at least being a noob ;) I just want harmony and eggs and pretty birds to enjoy lol! My little flock now is all of those things, but I need more eggs, so must have more birds and so I worry about doubling numbers and just having a big mess of unhappy birds :( I see people with lots of different breeds, no rhyme or reason sometimes and everyone is cohabitating peacefully. I'm nervous about the opposite happening. But your input helps, so thank you!

....I just want harmony and eggs and pretty birds to enjoy lol! My little flock now is all of those things, but I need more eggs, so must have more birds and so I worry about doubling numbers and just having a big mess of unhappy birds....
Unless I misread something, going from 8 to 27 is tripling rather than doubling!

As long as you have lots of space to add birds and use a reasonable integration plan, they should be just fine.
Taking care of triple the amount of birds may be an eye opener tho.

Agrees with dhetzel, more about individual birds than breed.....
...my Wellie cock is a sweetie, my Wellie hen can be h3ll on wheels.

Unless I misread something, going from 8 to 27 is tripling rather than doubling!

As long as you have lots of space to add birds and use a reasonable integration plan, they should be just fine.
Taking care of triple the amount of birds may be an eye opener tho.

Agrees with dhetzel, more about individual birds than breed.....
...my Wellie cock is a sweetie, my Wellie hen can be h3ll on wheels.

Yes I guess it is tripling the number, I was just giving a broad generalization ;)

I can imagine the increase will be an eye opener, not afraid of the work at all, I actually find caring for them/being around them to be my therapy <3 It's enjoyable to me. But I am wondering if I am increasing too quickly by adding the 10 Wellies...not only the number but a breed I don't have any experience with, but they sound amazing so that's what attracted me. Of course the Speckled Sussex are new to me as well, I guess, but have to start somewhere ;P And my mom will actually be taking a couple of the SS's and probably some of the Wellies depending on what we get in the straight run, so I won't have ALL of them forever just for the first few weeks.

And both of your descriptions even vary about the hens in this breed, so it is very true I guess about the individual birds rather a breed :)

Are Wellies okay to add with other breeds of chickens in your flock? I'll have 12 BO's, 5 Speckled Sussex and then 10 Wellies, give or take depending on how many end up being roo's. I just read a review on MCM hatchery website that said they can be bullies to other birds? :(

I have Welsummers, Ameraucaunas, Marans, and Swedish Flower chickens. We had one bully with the Welsummers. His name is Dave. We put glasses on him for 3 months and he is much better. He is still planned on stew because we have too many boys. But then the "head hen" who is an Ameraucauna has taken up the bully hat with the youngest chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom