The Welsummer Thread!!!!

No color in comb at 6 weeks and breast feathers look pretty 'salmon'.....I'd say pullet.
I hope so. That is what the markings at hatch suggested, but without knowing how good the seller if eggsvauto sexing was I guessed. Then it's vomb looked big, but I have not had this breed before.

Quote: It's more about color of comb than size of comb.
For most breeds, lots of color in comb and wattles at 5-6 weeks is a pretty good indicator of males......
......like the 2 barred birds behind the Wellie in your pic, look to be males.

With the Wellie the breast feathers tell a lot too.

Ahh the combs look lighter in this pic........and the breast on the Wellie looks more male here.
here is another. I just don't know which of these two is the one in the pictures and which died/was killed? When I moved them out to coop with the Christmas chicks. I thought I had a pair.

Last edited:
I am adding 10 Wellies to my flock in a couple weeks, SO excited! I love these breed specific threads because it really helps to get to know their characteristics and seeing pics of course! :D

I've enjoyed scrolling through and reading about this breed! I think they will be an excellent addition to my flock
love.gif

Are welsummers typically good broody mamas? I have one on day 7 with her eggs and she is doing great! I am just wondering what I should expect for when they hatch. Thanks!

Are welsummers typically good broody mamas? I have one on day 7 with her eggs and she is doing great! I am just wondering what I should expect for when they hatch. Thanks!
They are good mothers. Like all mothers the first time raising chicks there might be some that die due to an accident but mine are on their second year and I have two hens that are on day 19 with their eggs. Both are welsummers. Last year I had one mother that all she wanted to do was scratch around and didn't listen to her babies when they got cold. They died of course. The other mother hatched out two and was great and didn't loose one. The babies are now starting to lay...

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom