The Welsummer Thread!!!!

It is hard to believe my birds will be 2 in a few months.

Here is my rooster.
20161202_143641.jpg

My bantam rooster and my Ameracuna are in the foreground .

20170120_112400-1.jpg

The other two hens just don't like having their picture taken.

Maybe one of my birds will go broody this year....

Are Wellies and Ameraucanas broody types? Maybe a couple Silkie hens will make good broodies -- they can't help but going broody at the drop of an egg and they're 99% great mommas too. Maybe your bantam will incubate some eggs? Usually most bantams are very broody chickens. But in my experience, Silkies are the best at brooding and won't draw blood when you check under a setting hen. Of course the Silkies have to be isolated from the general flock while brooding, hatching, and raising the chicks. Sometimes two Silkies will share brooding the same nest. They just can't help themselves -- they were born to be mommas.

My Wellies went broody last summer. My Ameraucana did not.

My bantam Game Hen has gone broody a couple of times in spite of only now being two years old. She even raised a chick that first time. She never pecked at me or anything like that either. If she goes broody again I will likely have her try to broody some Wellies eggs.

The bantam Cornish hasn't gone broody at all.

My Wellies went broody last summer. My Ameraucana did not.

My bantam Game Hen has gone broody a couple of times in spite of only now being two years old. She even raised a chick that first time. She never pecked at me or anything like that either. If she goes broody again I will likely have her try to broody some Wellies eggs.

The bantam Cornish hasn't gone broody at all.

I wish you luck on your broody bantam. I can't imagine any Cornish standard or bantam going broody but your bantam Wellie should. My Silkies drive me nuts because all they want to do is lay a dozen eggs, stop, and go broody for several weeks. I don't hatch eggs or raise chicks so I had to stop keeping broody Silkies -- but they are such adorable teddy bear chickens and visitors love holding them -- especially children -- and it's the perfect opportunity for teaching children how to hold the bantams in the safe judge's hold and to be gentle with the birds.

An update on Welsummers. 2 new additions today with 2 more possible.

received_597941570592774.jpeg

received_597941563926108.jpeg

I will of course update pictures periodically. So far they are in the brooder and doing great.

Then this chick from my Welsummer rooster and my Ameraucana hen. Or maybe the hen was one of my Wyandottes.

received_597896890597242.jpeg

Perhaps my Welsummer X Ameraucana is this one.

received_597896850597246.jpeg

My other two that are Welsummer X Wyandotte are like that one they just don't have the puffy cheeks.

An update on Welsummers. 2 new additions today with 2 more possible.

View attachment 1406900
View attachment 1406902
I will of course update pictures periodically. So far they are in the brooder and doing great.

Then this chick from my Welsummer rooster and my Ameraucana hen. Or maybe the hen was one of my Wyandottes.

View attachment 1406904

Perhaps my Welsummer X Ameraucana is this one.

View attachment 1406906
My other two that are Welsummer X Wyandotte are like that one they just don't have the puffy cheeks.

Baby chicker-doodles are so-o-o adorable! Congrats!

Are there any other Welsummer Breeders in WV on this thread? We finally have the state's approval to host a APA Poultry Show. The organizer is shooting for 2019 for the first show. Part of the process is to start a state club. If anyone is interested, PM me.

Back
Top Bottom