The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I wish you luck on your broody bantam. I can't imagine any Cornish standard or bantam going broody

My OEGB did end up going broody. Hatch day is about a week away. I was rather surprised to find my Cornish Bantam has gone broody too. About two weeks to go for her.

I do have an incubator as backup if either one quits on me.

Ehhh...maybe a bit...they also might just be smaller birds than the RIR.
Got pics of both side by side?

Not good ones. The bottom photo has a JBG/something in it who is a week or so younger.

82F7854A-9AEC-44D4-91A8-7ACBA9E8D0FF.jpeg

D317EAC0-65D8-4326-ACF3-692D95FD5D1F.jpeg

Think most the real breeders are long gone from this thread...or they are just not posting.
yeah, it's sad... I know when I first started out I learned a lot from breeders on here. Now that I've been at it for a decade I realize why they always got so frustrated with people getting upset when someone provided feedback on bird. While I always found it helpful in learning what I needed to improve too many people take it personally.

yeah, it's sad... I know when I first started out I learned a lot from breeders on here. Now that I've been at it for a decade I realize why they always got so frustrated with people getting upset when someone provided feedback on bird. While I always found it helpful in learning what I needed to improve too many people take it personally.
I think it went downhill when the hatcheries started selling them.
Are you part of the FB group?

I added two Welsummers pullets to my flock, hatched 2-20. They are not the friendliest of my pullets, but they aren’t flighty. They are calm and curious. I am looking forward to seeing if their eggs will be as dark as I hope.

Here's one of my new boys....He is still feathering out and I do not like his comb but I can work with that. What does thrill me is he's huge, he is a MONSTER.
big_smile.png
His father was a stunning bird, I hope he follows suit.
11170_imgp4459.jpg

Here's some girls.......the one with the earlobes had some sort of illness that turned her earlobes white but she is back to normal now.
11170_imgp4636.jpg

11170_imgp4529.jpg

11170_imgp4527.jpg
With white earlobes they look like brown leghorns. I bought some “Welsummers” online with no photo... they were already boxed up when I picked them up. They were only $5 each so I can’t complain, but... when I got them home they were brown leghorns. They are regular layers and their white eggs are pretty mixed in with all the greens and blues and browns, but I was so sad they weren’t Welsummers!

Back
Top Bottom