The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Janet, I always have my feed made up at the grain elevator and add 200# of meat scraps to a ton of feed. I feed all poultry this same mix. I use about a 22 % mix for all poultry. I have done it this way for over 50 year and it has worked very well for me.

I know a man in N.C. that shows Oriental Fowl and he feed each of them a small ball of lean ground meat everyday.

SnowBird ........would you be willing to share your mix ingredients percentages, and how long it keeps ect. ect........ I would be very interested, I have had nothing but trouble with commercial feeds being less than they say they are........... I have had feather pickers egg eaters, grrrrrrrrrrrr and just undersized chicks and adults, I really think its related to feed because they do really well while I'm feeding the a dozen scrabbled eggs a day, but after the 8th week I ween them all off the medicated feed and eggs, to a grower crumble, and they seem to slow way down on growth. A better quality higher protein feed would be exactly what I need............... TY Kim

SnowBird ........would you be willing to share your mix ingredients percentages, and how long it keeps ect. ect........ I would be very interested, I have had nothing but trouble with commercial feeds being less than they say they are........... I have had feather pickers egg eaters, grrrrrrrrrrrr and just undersized chicks and adults, I really think its related to feed because they do really well while I'm feeding the a dozen scrabbled eggs a day, but after the 8th week I ween them all off the medicated feed and eggs, to a grower crumble, and they seem to slow way down on growth. A better quality higher protein feed would be exactly what I need............... TY Kim
200 meat scraps
1000 corn
400 soy bean meal
100 alfalfa meal
300 oats.

You can substitue other grains as long as you figure in the difference in Protein. I have also used fish meal and cut the soy bean meal.

Janet, I always have my feed made up at the grain elevator and add 200# of meat scraps to a ton of feed. I feed all poultry this same mix. I use about a 22 % mix for all poultry. I have done it this way for over 50 year and it has worked very well for me.

I know a man in N.C. that shows Oriental Fowl and he feed each of them a small ball of lean ground meat everyday.

so excited to see someone's recipe

BTW does that feed spoil quicker than regular feed or does it have an odor due to the meat scraps

Last edited:
so excited to see someone's recipe

BTW does that feed spoil quicker than regular feed or does it have an odor due to the meat scraps
Shelf life is real good. I have plastic barrells that I use for storage. Does not have a strong odor because of the meat scraps.

I have used this food for large amount of Muscovy Ducks also.

Wow! More than I bargained for in a reply. I've gotten some of the best information from people who have raised game fowl for years. Great recipe snowbird! I've been mixing a wet and dry feed for a while now. Wet feed is part wheat midds and hominy with whole oats. Dry mix has been a basic rooster booster, extra feed wheat, steam rolled oats, three way scratch and layer pellet. Been scared to do any soy anymore after I'd heard that it drops fertility. Boiled eggs processed whole shell and all with ground up carrots and garlic for an extra dose of protien. That's been my diet.

Recently I had put a block in my run to set a water bowl on it, when I picked the block up a mother mouse came running out and her tiny babies fell off her. Before I could blink my chickens had grabbed every last one and ate them!
They seemed to really enjoy this---so that was fresh "raw meat". I never thought about feeding them raw hamburger. I also never thought to ask the feed mill about adding meat to my mix.
Very interesting.
Always learning. . . . .

It all makes sense if you think about it. Chickens are omnivores. So a good source of meat protein is essential to round off a good diet.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention. I bought some lean hamburger meat today and put it in my biggest breeder pen and 2lbs was gone within a couple minutes. That could become expensive, lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom