The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Partridge Rock....maybe. Or could just be a Welsummer with the incorrect color pattern. I have seen some pretty bad looking hatchery Welsummers. You can wait and see what her eggs look like I guess. If you're just looking for dark eggs, she might give you those. But wouldn't be recommended for breeding.
The pattern around the ear is what makes me think this is a partridge Rock instead of a Welsummer. Hope this helps. :)

ok here is an updated picture of what the hatchery gave me as my welsummer, I don't think that is what I got any thoughts.

@mimi I've attached a picture of some of my hatchery Welsummer juveniles from a couple years ago. The body coloring looks the same but the head looks a bit different in coloring but your birds may be a little older than my were at the time.

Do you have any pictures of this chick as a day old?  

3 days old! Mine never had the line at the eyes or the v on top of head, didn't notice this until I seen some chicks at the farm store and I thought they were selling chick with the wrong label on them, then came home to research some. A few things mine had or didn't have, again the v on top of head, the line at the eye, it has very distinct ears which I didn't think Welsummers have. Thanks again for all comments and suggestions!

After looking at my own chicks pictures, it is a Wellie chick. Some will have more "broken barring patterns" than others but wait until they matured a bit, then the patterns changes again. Weird, isn't it? If you get a buff with similar pattern on body but no chipmunk stripes, that's something else going on. I've had hatchery Partridge Rocks before and they did look similar but their skin is very yellow, beak were yellow, not "horn" in color.

Like everyone else said before, don't expect too much out of hatchery Welsummers. If later down the road you want to breed your hatchery Welsummers, they would make good Olive Eggers or Easter Eggers.

If dark eggs are what you are really looking for, and you want it consistently generation after generation, then your best bet is to look for a breeder. We do have listed and "unlisted" breeders in our files as well if you do not see any in your state or neighboring states. Ask them if they can ship to you if they are able or get hatching eggs. Or they can refer you to someone else they know. All of them are courteous and willing to help you get to the right direction in what exactly you want out of the Welsummers. Everyone's Welsummers are different, coming from different sources and different goals and performances expecting out of their Welsummers. Ask ALOT of questions, not by one source but three or four or as many you want, and do your research, form your own decisions and take it from there. You will be glad you did.

Last edited:
@mimi I've attached a picture of some of my hatchery Welsummer juveniles from a couple years ago. The body coloring looks the same but the head looks a bit different in coloring but your birds may be a little older than my were at the time.
mine is 5 weeks here

Now, that is a Partridge Rock chick....I've had some looking like that and others had striped chipmunk patterns too. Grrrrrr hatchery! With hatchery Brown Leghorns, all of them I had years ago ALL had chipmunk patterns. No mutty or unstriped ones.

I guess we have to take a wait and see. Are you sure that the feed store didn't mix the chipmunks and "mink" babies in one bin? Sometimes they can label Welsummers and Partridge Rocks under one bin.

3 days old! Mine never had the line at the eyes or the v on top of head, didn't notice this until I seen some chicks at the farm store and I thought they were selling chick with the wrong label on them, then came home to research some. A few things mine had or didn't have, again the v on top of head, the line at the eye, it has very distinct ears which I didn't think Welsummers have. Thanks again for all comments and suggestions!

Definitely a Partridge Rock. I've raised both and can see how one may be confused by the two as they get to the gangly stage of getting their first feathers in, no matter how much experience you think you have. I'd be happy to get you some Welsummer chicks this Spring if you would like. :)

Back
Top Bottom