The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
That's crazy! I have 110 birds too, and I got 2 eggs. One wellie has been laying through the strike, and one cochin finally started again. I'm sooo ready for some eggs- going to pick up that cayenne pepper I saw recommended on some other threads.

I do not feel so bad either, out of 30 laying hens we are getting 8 a day (
hide.gif
) all from the columbian wyandottes and the wheaten marans.. wellies, cochins and other marans on strike.. BUT we have a heated barn.. so no excuses allowed for these girls
wink.png

I havent gotten eggs in over 2 months. Which again I dont like mine to be laying at this time of year. This year I hope my wellies start laying earlier than last year, last year they didnt start until march, which really sucked because I was sending some eggs over to the Netherlands(to a top welsummer breeder), and needed them by a certain date, well I was only able to send over pullet eggs! But it all turned out good, a trio hatched out of a dozen eggs, the rooster sadly died, and they said that the hens have great egg color(some of the best he has seen in a while) and the pullets have great body type. The only flaw was the shaft color for Netherland/Dutch Standards, but it would be correct to USA standards.

Nate

I only have one Wellie hen. She has always on laid an egg every other day. She is about 1 1/2 years old. She went thru the molt, stopped laying for a couple of weeks, then started back again. She even lays one every day every now and then. When the days started getting shorter, I put a light in the coop, have it set to come on in the evening and morning giving her 14 hours of daylight. Hopefully she will continue to lay thru the winter. I have a Barred Rock that is only about 3 mths old now. I hope she will start laying this spring. I only have these 2 hens and one Wellie rooster.

Hey there,

I am just learning about welsummers. My sister has this beautiful roo and he has won many competitions as a mix breed. Her silly husband couldn't remember what they guy said when he got him, just that he was really rare. She thought he had to be a mix breed, well low and behold after much researching we finally think we narrowed down what he is. We think he is a Golden Duckwing Welsummer.
53024_cock_block.jpg
Would you all concur? Does anyone know of anyone who sells these? My sister would love to breed him. He is not only beautiful, but also sweet as gold..

Thanks,
Christal

I am sorry we do not have any Duckwings in the US, and there was only ONE bantam breeder that raises Silver and Gold Duckwing Bantams.

Sorry he does look like a mix breed but he is very handsome!!!!!!

Quote:
As far as I know, partridge color is the only variety in the US.

ETA: Except for whatever groundhighchickenguy has been working on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom