The Wyandotte Thread

So WHO is here on BYC breeding Large Fowl Golden Laced Wyandottes and working with their flocks to get the standard color?

I just got my first and she is beautiful even though she is just a hatchery chick.

I don't see much at all out there about the Gold as the other colors or bantams seem to be all the rage.

I am in OHIO. I understand that most of the birds out there are orangy rather than the redder color the standard calls for.

Thanks all,
Bonnie in OHIO

Quote:
Precious few people, especially seriously and in any quantity. I was looking through the Wyandotte directory awhile back and there really weren't very people. I can't honestly think of anyone with more than a handful in the whole Midwest. I'm probably overlooking someone, tho.

Quote:
The Turbos here might have some chicks. I think they sold their breeders, though. Duane Urch has good glw.

We have the breeders until mid May so we will have some started birds this fall I guess....

Quote:
I recommend the Turbos (Foleys). I'm fortunate enough to be driving distance from them. They've been wonderful to a newbie like me. Jerry and Rebecca kindly mentored me on what to look for in a great wyandotte. They want to everyone to love these beautiful birds.

Jesse Paul will sell you birds with single combs which is a show fault. He admits it on his website, also. I ordered 50 black wyandotte chicks from JP this spring but he was having fertility issues and issued a refund to me.

BYC Is a powerful tool in the poultry community and is an awesome reference tool for all things poultry. Unfortunately it is at times used by a few to spread hurtful lies. With this in mind I would like to respectfully address the preceding post.

Dear Colby Roche.
Where on our site does it say we sell birds with single combs? We used to include them as extras for free but no longer even do that. Let me copy/paste an email from you posted last May 10 2010

Hello Mr. Paul,
I know it's late in the season, but I would be interested in acquiring any of your golden laced wyandotte chicks. Jerry and Rebecca Foley highly recommended you and I am already aware of your fine reputation. If you have any "extras", please keep me in mind! If not, I'll try to order again at the beginning of the next year...

Thanks for your time!
Colby Roche

Feb. 04 2011 You emailed me and said

Hi!
Paul called a couple of days ago. Sorry, I was out of town. He is setting eggs for a 2/22 hatch. That is perfect for me. Let me know how many hatch to ship (I honestly can’t remember the number of chicks we talked about) so I can you a money order as per Jesse’s wishes.
I’m an email person versus phone if possible.
Thanks so much, looking forward to receiving your spectacular birds.
Colby Roche

This year you wanted "ALL" of the black chicks I could hatch...than went down to 125, than to 50...than to 25......and than totally changed your mind. We refunded all of your money without question and feel that we have done you no wrong. Can you tell me why you would post such bunk on this site? What has happened in the past couple of months that has changed your opinion from " looking forward to receiving your spectacular birds" and " I am already aware of your fine reputation" to one ? Perhaps one of our competitors has been filling your mind and heart with lies?

Here is the only reference to single combs on our site. Please note that it does not say we sell single combed chicks

Q- We received a single combed Wyandotte in a shipment from you. Can you tell me if they are any good for breeding or showing?
A- Single combs show up in all Wyandotte lines and can be directly related to fertility. Many Wyandotte breeders will tell you to breed out the single comb is to breed out fertility. We do on occasion use single comb pullets in our breeding pens but advise that if at all possible avoid using a single comb male as he will quickly bring up the ratio of single comb offspring. We have found that a good ratio is 10% to 15% single comb offspring is an acceptable amount. A single comb is a disqualification in the show pen.

Perhaps one of our competitors has been filling your mind and heart with lies?

I thought it was your competitor that recommended she get blacks from you?​

Is there a particular 'shade' of gold? One of the breeders was talking about how the GLW had turned more of a brassy orangey color than the redder gold called for in the standard......

Can you post a photo of the correct shaded bird?

Can't seem to find breeders advertising that they sell GLW especially with nice lacing. My hatchery bird is looking pretty to my inexperienced eyes.

Info appreciated cause I think I like the Wyandotte LF a LOT!

Bonnie from Clyde, OH

Quote:
The correct color for GLW is in the APA Standard, just grab your standard or purchase a copy and try and find some breeder birds that most closely fit the standard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom