The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
The correct color for GLW is in the APA Standard, just grab your standard or purchase a copy and try and find some breeder birds that most closely fit the standard.

the standard says "rich golden bay"

Good stuff on the Wyandotte thread on a Monday morning!

Just an FYI my dad and I do have about 20 LF Buffs on the ground right now. They look good so far. Growing well and already showing good color and type. Never been a huge Buff fan in any breed but I do like these birds. Very big, very docile and lay well also.

Quote:
I recommend the Turbos (Foleys). I'm fortunate enough to be driving distance from them. They've been wonderful to a newbie like me. Jerry and Rebecca kindly mentored me on what to look for in a great wyandotte. They want to everyone to love these beautiful birds.

Jesse Paul will sell you birds with single combs which is a show fault. He admits it on his website, also. I ordered 50 black wyandotte chicks from JP this spring but he was having fertility issues and issued a refund to me.

BYC Is a powerful tool in the poultry community and is an awesome reference tool for all things poultry. Unfortunately it is at times used by a few to spread hurtful lies. With this in mind I would like to respectfully address the preceding post.

Dear Colby Roche.
Where on our site does it say we sell birds with single combs? We used to include them as extras for free but no longer even do that. Let me copy/paste an email from you posted last May 10 2010

Hello Mr. Paul,
I know it's late in the season, but I would be interested in acquiring any of your golden laced wyandotte chicks. Jerry and Rebecca Foley highly recommended you and I am already aware of your fine reputation. If you have any "extras", please keep me in mind! If not, I'll try to order again at the beginning of the next year...

Thanks for your time!
Colby Roche

Feb. 04 2011 You emailed me and said

Hi!
Paul called a couple of days ago. Sorry, I was out of town. He is setting eggs for a 2/22 hatch. That is perfect for me. Let me know how many hatch to ship (I honestly can’t remember the number of chicks we talked about) so I can you a money order as per Jesse’s wishes.
I’m an email person versus phone if possible.
Thanks so much, looking forward to receiving your spectacular birds.
Colby Roche

This year you wanted "ALL" of the black chicks I could hatch...than went down to 125, than to 50...than to 25......and than totally changed your mind. We refunded all of your money without question and feel that we have done you no wrong. Can you tell me why you would post such bunk on this site? What has happened in the past couple of months that has changed your opinion from " looking forward to receiving your spectacular birds" and " I am already aware of your fine reputation" to one ? Perhaps one of our competitors has been filling your mind and heart with lies?

Here is the only reference to single combs on our site. Please note that it does not say we sell single combed chicks

Q- We received a single combed Wyandotte in a shipment from you. Can you tell me if they are any good for breeding or showing?
A- Single combs show up in all Wyandotte lines and can be directly related to fertility. Many Wyandotte breeders will tell you to breed out the single comb is to breed out fertility. We do on occasion use single comb pullets in our breeding pens but advise that if at all possible avoid using a single comb male as he will quickly bring up the ratio of single comb offspring. We have found that a good ratio is 10% to 15% single comb offspring is an acceptable amount. A single comb is a disqualification in the show pen.

I can no longer find the reference to your single combs on your web site. In that capacity, I apologize.
I was excited about receiving your birds until you sent me a bill for $1100.00. True, that was for the full amount of 125 chicks plus shipping. I had to change financial strategy to ordering 25 at a time so I could afford to buy from the 3 different black wyandotte breeders I had chosen. So I ordered the first 25. You were unable to complete the order, so I asked for a refund so I could use that money for another breeder. You were unable to complete the second order hence the second refund.
No one has filled me with lies. It's simply business. I can't wait all summer for chicks. They don't thrive well in Kentucky's late summer heat.

Sorry there are ill feelings here....

I love the color contrast and the shape of the Wyandotte hen I got. Even though she is local and a hatchery bird and I just had to treat her and the other 3 for mites and wash a poopy butt. No one on here, just a local bird and the girls have given me 5 big beautiful brown eggs in 2 days and I'm very happy with them.

I don't have a copy of the APA standard, did send in an email to the APA secretary to confirm if the 2010 edition show full COLOR plates of the birds for each color as $59 for a standard book is pricey for me. Unless there is a printed color chart to go by with identifying nomenclature, GOLD and BAY mean very little.

I am completely NEW to owning chickens. But looking at my 2 Lt Sussex hens and my 'maybe? Australorp' and the GLW, the GLW just draws my eye for shape, size, and color contrast.

I am trying to learn about identifying show quality. Our county fair isn't until the END OF AUGUST. Seeing a chicken first hand and even holding it is a great learning experience to get the size and the weight and an idea of being able to identify one chicken from another.

I wasn't able to observe the chickens firsthand at the farm I went to. I had to pick up the hens at the end of the drive due to biosecurity. That just sucks, but I understand biosecurity!

My hens were brought home and set up in isolation and I change my shoes and they get serviced LAST each day. First the brooder chicks, the bator eggs do get checked a lot during the day, the hens get checked/serviced last. After treating for the mites and seeing the crawly things, I felt crawly, too and those clothes are all in the hot wash!!

I have already heard good things about both breeders mentioned above and the quality of their birds. Learning about chicken raising is what I am here for. A healthy discussion of how to care for them, raise them, and how to go about developing a line or strain and to what purpose.

So lets get back to the good stuff! Any photos of good show color in a gold laced wyandotte hen that you post to me or here is appreciated so I can compare my girl to them. She's a hatchery chick and I'm expecting to see something different in the richness of the color in a show girl?

Any photos to help me out? She has a wet butt right now, but hopefully by tomorrow the girls will be dry and fluffy and photo ready.

Thanks everybody for being patient with a NEW CHICKEN RAISER.
Bonnie in Ohio

Quote:
Me, too. But that stuff happens over the course of life. We'll all get over it eventually. Hopefully no one gets hurt.

Quote:
You might see several things, but background color may/may not be one of them. Mostly, hatchery chicks have very pinched lacing and a lot of shafting (the shaft of the feather is lighter colored than the rest of the feather. ) They are smaller, narrower, and generally not as refined. They often have harder feathers and tend to be more aggressive.

Actually, for your case, if you wanted to really work on GLW, you should find some Silver Laced and cross the colors for improved type and color. After a few generations, you should be able to improve size and color dramatically due to the ease of this cross genetically. I've heard of people using hatchery goldens as a starting place before with decent results and more time and effort would, I'm sure, yield more and better results.

Rudy

They are both good breeders and you could not go wrong with either.
I wish you best of luck with your chickens and for everyone learning what to look for in S Q birds.
I don't think you ever stop learning when it comes for breeding and show.
No matter what you have SQ, breeder Q ,or just good hens that are pretty backyard flocks you should be proud for what you have and remember there is no perfect chickens out there.
All we can do is love what we do and work for better quality chickens.

I am new to this breed. I have not had chickens in a long time, although I used to raise and show OE Game Bantams. These are my new BLRWs. I got 8, two of them are splash. I have no idea if they are any good or not, but time will tell I guess! The splash roo sure is a pretty thing! (the little sickly looking one in the 2nd photo perked back up and feels fine now. I was worried about her for a while though)

IMG_1471Medium.jpg

IMG_1473Medium.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom