The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
Well if your thinking hatchery quality I have 2 GLWs from privett they lay good although one is broody right now. The have ok lacing (compared to some) but their shape/tail set is not to standard at all. I think they're pretty but boy are they mean! Peck my hand almost everytime I look under them for eggs. I had 2 SLWs from MM that didn't even look like wyandottes! Meanest worst laying hens I ever had. I wouldn't buy from them again.
If you buy from a breeder I sure you'll be happier though.

Last edited:
I got two SLWs from the feed store this year (from Dunlap Hatchey), in my opinion though, one of them is patterning out as a Silver Penciled. I don't know, and of course, I have no good pictures of the two of them! They are a little over 5 weeks old now, so it could just be my imagination! One has a lot of white, especially on her chest area, and the other is mostly black with white running down the center of the feathers, mostly just at the spine. I'll try for pictures later today...they move around way too much most of the time and it's hard to get decent pictures when they do settle down to cuddle...they like to sit in my hands!

I ended up getting 3 yesterday from the feed store. The amazing part was I was able to sneak them in under the watch of the BF
hide.gif
since he said no more babies! Lol....little does he know. I'm getting 4 more this weekend!! Ha!

Question for the Wyandotte peeps!

I got some BLRW from someone who has been breeding them from nice stock. Do black, blue and splash all look different as chicks? I asked the person I got them from if they were all blue or if some were splash, etc, however he didn't seem to understand. I am assuming the parent birds he got are all blue laced, but wouldn't their offspring also be black and splash?

Any help would be appreciated! And they are sooo cute. I will post a picture later.

we don't try to guess the colors other than splash because they can fool you and feather out to be a deep blue and you thought for sure it would be a black laced.

Mrs. Turbo :

we don't try to guess the colors other than splash because they can fool you and feather out to be a deep blue and you thought for sure it would be a black laced.

Oh so true! I've had chicks look black till 6 weeks! Never say black untill 8-10 weeks is what I go by because they turn blue often!​

Mrs. Turbo :

Oh sorry I misread you. So the splash you can usually tell and the black and blue are a little trickier.​

Here is a photo I posted a few pages back of some of my chicks. The middle one is splash and the left one might be black but could be blue, the right one is blue.
48894_001-001_014.jpg

48894_001-001_006.jpg

Back
Top Bottom