The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
So, I'm curious: what's the result of a BLRW splash rooster bred to a Blue (Wyandotte, Orpington, even Andalusian)? I know Splash over Blue= 50/50 Spash/Blue, but what happens to the lacing if the blue isn't a BLRW?

Last edited:
Quote:
So, I'm curious: what's the result of a BLRW splash rooster bred to a Blue (Wyandotte, Orpington, even Andalusian)? I know Splash over Blue= 50/50 Spash/Blue, but what happens to the lacing if the blue isn't a BLRW?

you'll get solid colored splash, blue's and blacks... some might be patterned, but not complete...

Got 23 SLW eggs in the Bator (all Foley's line), Day 8 and so far all look good.
fl.gif

I just had to show you all my beautiful Wyandote with her very first hatch, she is a last fall chick from the Foley's. We but bantam eggs under her three hatched.
51814_patsys_hatch_005.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh, lovely!! I'm hoping that mine will set her own eggs and be a good mother; I've raised beef cattle far too long to be comfortable with all the incubators and brooders (I'm hard core about things taking care of themselves: I raise hardy geraniums and heritage roses, too) and hearing of a BLRW raising her own fills me with delight.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

If anyone in northern california is interested......

I have some blue-laced red wyandotte juvenile chicks that I bought from Foley's as day old chicks and that are about 10 weeks old now. As you all know, Foley's is very well known on BYC for high quality wyandottes. Here is a link to their website with photos of full-grown birds. http://www.foleyswaterfowl.com/blrwyandotte.htm

I
have a few each of both roos and pullets. Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,
Anna B

How insane is it to consider Silver Spangled Hamburg X BLRW? I found some SSH pullets on craigslist, but no rooster so far; I mean to have a breeding pen of both, but if I can't find a SSH roo this year is this a cross anyone has explored?

(Idle speculation, nothing more: I'm actually thinking of a lot of possibilities).

Quote:
For breeding as a Wyandotte project? Very insane.
wink.png

The first thing I'll say is that Wyandotte lacing is different from Hamburg spangling. One is partridge based, the other is crowwing/birchen based, so there's a lot to add and/or get rid of there.

Second is body type and weight.
th.gif
Good luck.

Breeding just for the fun of it or some new idea? A great idea.
wink.png
The two are hardly related at all and both have their pros, I think it would be a great cross.

Quote:
For breeding as a Wyandotte project? Very insane.
wink.png

The first thing I'll say is that Wyandotte lacing is different from Hamburg spangling. One is partridge based, the other is crowwing/birchen based, so there's a lot to add and/or get rid of there.

Second is body type and weight.
th.gif
Good luck.

Breeding just for the fun of it or some new idea? A great idea.
wink.png
The two are hardly related at all and both have their pros, I think it would be a great cross.

Not as a Wyandotte project, of course; I was mostly thinking in terms of hybrid vigor, which would be considerable, and the possiblity of emergent characteristics. I can't play these games with cattle, the stakes are too high (I just spent $2000 on a yearling bull), the time between generations too long, and besides the Big Boys hold all the cards. Chickens are supposed to be something I'm doing for myself, for fun, for eggs and photographic subjects and to play with. From what I've been reading, both BLRWs and Hamburgs are all pretty homozygous, BLRWs because they're a recent creation and Hamburgs because they're old and unpopular.

Of course, I'm the person who thought it was fun (forty-plus years ago) to mix chemicals together and expose them to open flame, so there's some of that going on too.

Quote:
your inbox is full, but depending how my hatch goes i might be intrested in a roo and a couple pullets

setting the eggs tomorrow so lets hope
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom