The Wyandotte Thread

Straight combs are recessive to rose combs. So both your birds are carrying the genes. It is a problem you will have to fight HARD to keep out of your future breeders. If my brain is working 75% of your chicks will either be straight combed or carry the gens for straight combs.

Those birds would be culls for most breeders.

Straight combs are recessive to rose combs. So both your birds are carrying the genes. It is a problem you will have to fight HARD to keep out of your future breeders. If my brain is working 75% of your chicks will either be straight combed or carry the gens for straight combs.

Those birds would be culls for most breeders.

25% will have single comb, 50% will carry the gene but show a rose comb, the other 25% will be pure rose comb.

the only true way to eliminate it would be to test-breed each bird to a single combed bird. if it does NOT carry single comb, it will produce only rose combed offspring. if it does carry the single comb gene, then breeding to a single combed bird will result in 50% single combed offspring. those are the birds that should be culled.

Quote:
So I was right 75% will carry or show straight combs. That is the MAIN issue I am fighting in my SPW bantams.

and the fastest way to eliminate it would be to breed each one to a single combed bird, culling all that produce single combed offspring.

Quote:
So I was right 75% will carry or show straight combs. That is the MAIN issue I am fighting in my SPW bantams.

and the fastest way to eliminate it would be to breed each one to a single combed bird, culling all that produce single combed offspring.

Problem is I don't have another roo really. I am sure all the hens carry it too. I didn't want that project when I took it and I really don't want it now.

There is nothing for Jerry to make right. It is very common for show lines of Silver Laced Wyandottes to produce single comb offspring. Last year I had an unusually high percentage of single combs. I probably had about 40% single comb. I don't know anyone that shows SLW's that doesn't produce single comb chicks. It is to be expected when breeding these birds.

Matt

How's your little chicky with the bad leg doing? Is s/he still having problems? If not, hopefully it's because she got better not because she died...fingers crossed for you. We had a Golden Laced Polish named Pinky Pie and she hung on with an issue like that for about 4 months! It started with a limp like that, and moved to a lot of "foot slapping." Heavy walking, rough leg control. Then she was on her hocks, then not walking at all. We kept bringing her into the house and laying her on a towel because we were sure this was the end, and she'd lay there, not able to stand or walk much, wings ragged from dragging herself around in the October mud, and eat plates full of corn and treats, endure hugs from the kids as they fed her her "last meal" for the 10th time, and look around happily... and she'd hang on and hang on. Finally when it got really cold, she got very stiff, didn't try to move, and finally lost her appetite. Then we knew it was time for her to go. But man, she was a great chicken, even though she was progressively weakening. Hope your little one is ok.

Back
Top Bottom