e. But if you're going to see kids in the hospital let's say, a Pitbull might be too big of a breed. In which case maybe a Bichon Frise!

not likely. One of our visiting dogs is a great dane. we also have St Bernard and other "giant" breeds. As long as the dog has been taught body awareness, there is no size limits.
And since many hospitals won't allow dogs onto the bed, depending on the medical equipment in use, a big dog is often a better bet since they are "petting height" just standing on the floor.

Besides, a pit bull is hardly a large dog. 35-40 lbs is standard for an APBT

not likely. One of our visiting dogs is a great dane. we also have St Bernard and other "giant" breeds. As long as the dog has been taught body awareness, there is no size limits.
And since many hospitals won't allow dogs onto the bed, depending on the medical equipment in use, a big dog is often a better bet since they are "petting height" just standing on the floor.

Besides, a pit bull is hardly a large dog. 35-40 lbs is standard for an APBT

Good point about tall dogs.

Pits are like 50-100 lbs. Have a girl thats 65 lbs, had a male that was 85. Seen many 100lbs pits. Look up lowjack remy martin....

Aren't those technically American Bullies? Which I think is a different breed. Most of the public calls bully mixes pit bulls too but I believe dainerra is talking about the actual american pit bull terrier breed which is supposed to be pretty lean and fit and nowhere near as big and bulky as most people breed them now. Although I think the bulky staffy looking ones win in shows or get to CH faster when they technically shouldn't but people like the blocky dogs and they're all great dogs imo, but the actual APBT is a specific breed. Pit is basically just like saying retriever. But my brother's neighbor adopted a pit a few months ago, 2 weeks after my brother and his fiancé adopted their puppy, and she's great. Their dogs are best friends and play all the time. Maybe because they are both new and hadn't established territory yet? She also got attacked today on a walk by two vicious Goldens who ran out of the an open door and attacked unprovoked and she didn't even fight back! She's fine, btw, just some scratches and fur missing apparently. But people say pits are mean and Goldens are perfect but yet today a pit got attacked and didn't even defend itself. Just sat there not knowing what to do. These Goldens apparently are extremely dog aggressive. Although I'm not sure if it's dog aggression or just territorial? Seems like it's when people are near their place but idk. Anyway, pits and bullies are great, not trying to bash them or deny that, but american bully is a separate breed from APBT and there's also am staffs and staffies, bulldogs, american bulldogs, etc.

Bullys is not a recognized breed. Akc dont recognize the pit. Only ukc does. So its pretty useless saying which is which. I put all those dogs under the pit category. Bully to standard their personalities are simular some are shorter then others. Their all great dogs!!

Just like people they come in all shapes and sizes. Like i said i had a standard pit that was 85lbs.

Theres two options for dogs. Fight or flight. Unless ur brothers dog is a pup, it is a flight dog. Which is great! Just be sure to know that, when ur dog gets attacked (even tho it wasnt anything really) they will be looking at u to protect the pack.

Anyways point of the story pit bulls are great dogs!

I didn't realize the APBT wasn't AKC recognized but you're right, although it does say that the American Bully is recognized by the UKC as of 2013, sp still really new. So you're right that they probably all came from the same dogs and act the same and stuff so it doesn't matter but now at least they're starting to separate them and the bully are more the shorter/frog type ones. Although that said I do think 35-40 is really small for any pit, even APBT. Maybe 50-60 might be mpre the standard range? But idk. I'm sure there are smaller and larger dogs. Some pits are tiny, I've seen them. But they're also all muscle, at least if they're taken care of well, so a lot of your boy's weight was probably muscle. :)

And oh sorry for the confusion! It wasn't my brother's puppy that got attacked but the neighbor's dog. It got a little confusing the way I worded it but basically what happened is my brother and his then girlfriend, now fiancé, adopted a 12 week old puppy in February and had her shipped up from the South. The ad on Petfinder said Great Pyrenees and Border Collie mix but a DNA test they did revealed that she is actually Great Pyrenees, Lab, Boxer, and another unidentified breed. They still love her anyway though and she is smart as a whip and a very good dog. Anyway, their neighbor's then adopted Sammy, the pit bull, about 2 weeks after my brother got Libby. The neighbor's had had a boxer that died, and they used to have 2 years and years ago, anyway, that one was kinda mean, and didn't like most dogs, but then they adopted that pit and her and Libby are best friends now and love playing together and chasing each other along the fence. It's so cute.

So anyway, long story short, Sammy, the neighbor's dog, is the one that got attacked. And she is not a puppy I don't think but idk. I think she's a young adult as she's pretty big but still has energy to play. Although she seems like a pretty calm dog too. So that's good.

Anyway, the neighbors were walking her and all of a sudden she gets attacked out of nowhere! I guess the owner had opened the door to go talk to someone in the driveway? And the dogs ran out and went barreling towards Sammy and attacked. Then the lady lied and said 3 times she didn't know how it happened.

Anyway, Sammy sat there and cried basically.

But btw, they didn't stand there and let her be attacked or anything, I think they pulled the dogs off, I'm not really sure. And I think it happened too fast to prevent it.

I don't know all the details, only what my brother told us the neighbor told him.

But yeah, I think she's definitely a flight dog then? Which is good.

But yeah they do seem like it! I've never met one till Sammy

Back
Top Bottom