THEY HAVE SHIPPED!

Leah- did you put grit in the box? I have a bag of chick grit but it said they can't have it until 2 weeks.. Can I go ahead and give it to them when they hatch?

5 chicks are out, 2 are hatching! Out of my 11 eggs! One of the buff orp/silkies hatched! He's still wet but it looks like he's yellow with black dots.. (No idea where the dots came from) and he inherited dads feathered feet! Will post pics when he dries!!

I think the chick grit is too big for them at this age. Mine don't have grit. I picked up the City Chicks book on amazon (I think that's what it is called) and he puts clean, fine grade sand for them to wander in... so that is what I got (the finest sand available at Home Depot - construction grade so it doesn't clump). This is my first time with chickens so I'm just doing what he did in his book - we'll see how it works!

I have ordered from Meyer many times and have always been happy with them. Congrats on your new additions!

Cackle Hatchery! I'm getting 10 STR assorted silkie bantams, 5 STR assorted Cochin bantams, and 15 assorted heavy layers!! Layers are all pullets.

I'm also hatching 11 eggs of my own at the moment and ones out, another's pecking!!
Laci, Nancy Smith at Cackle is wonderful, what large city do you live near? You could arrange to get them so they dont sit at Postal Facility or in a truck, it is something that can be done on short notice.

I'm only 2 hours from Lebanon and last time, they were there the morning after they shipped! They were fine last time, so I guess I will wait it out and get them from my local PO. Great idea though!!

Oh my god Leah, some of mine are too!! It's crazy how fast they feather out. I think the only one of mine that doesnt have any wing feathers by the looks of it yet is my brahma.

Back
Top Bottom