Thin chickens any advice for putting on weight and feed advice please.

raskusbo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Fareham, Hampshire UK
I have 6 ex-bats, one died over the weekend we think of Coccidiosis and i have just felt the chests of the others and the chest bone is quite prominent so i am concerned that they aren't getting enough of the right foods.

They eat layers pellets as their main diet (available all the time) and i scatter corn during the day in their run. In the mornings when i let them out they have a container of left overs - usually cooked potato peelings, cooked swede, cabbage (raw), and sometimes brocolli (raw), carrots and fruit - apples, pears and bananas. Sometimes they have some pasta and tomatoes. but normally potato.

If i have any old lettuce and cucumber they will have that as well.

Is there any foods that i shouldn't be feeding them out of this list and what foods are there that will put weight on them!

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Vicki

I would cut back on the extras and make the pellets 75-90% of the diet. Also, were they kept in a heated environment? Maybe try to give them a little extra warmth. Have they been wormed recently? The most likely issues are too many treats, cold weather, parasites and stress. Hope this gives you some areas to consider.

What breed are they? If they're Leghorns (which most tend to be), then they're a skinny breed in general. I know suet will help put weight on a bird, but at this point I think I would gradually add these treats to their diet.

They are Warren x Rhode Islands.

I will cut back on treats then and give more pellets.

They were wormed in January and i am going to treat them with Coxoid as soon as it arrives this week. Also they were Red Mite and Louse powdered last week.

Their shed is not heated but they have a thick shavings bed and straw in the nesting box and always feel at a good temperature.

Thanks for the advice

They eat layers pellets as their main diet (available all the time) and i scatter corn during the day in their run. In the mornings when i let them out they have a container of left overs - usually cooked potato peelings, cooked swede, cabbage (raw), and sometimes brocolli (raw), carrots and fruit - apples, pears and bananas. Sometimes they have some pasta and tomatoes. but normally potato.

If i have any old lettuce and cucumber they will have that as well.

What the heck is "swede"?

A lot of the foods on that list are high carbohydrate and low protein. I would cut out the corn (no scratch!), potato, pasta, carrots and fruit. Vegetables and greens are good for them and low calorie (not filling). You could use nutritious treats such as sunflower seeds, meal worms, washed cottage cheese, scrambled egg. Some plain yogurt mixed into their crumble would be good for them.

Keep us posted on their progress!​

Swede is a root veg. that is like our rutabaga turnips. My hens will actually starve before they will eat enough pellets for them to go on. So did my Moms. We switched to laying crumbles and what a difference it made. Some hens just will eat a small amt. of pellets but not enough. Try a bag of layer crumbles and see if they eat more. I feed reg crumbles each morning and when I go to get eggs I take left over biscuit, cornbread , pancakes, greens etc. I get spinach when it is almost outdated and reduced in price and give them some almost everyday. They get lots of vitamins there. Also winter squash and pumpkin cooked is good vitamin food. Sometimes if the weather is going to be rough I buy flock blocks for them to peck at inside the coop. It prevents pecking on each other for me. Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom