Things you never said until you had chickens.......

Goodnight, sleep tight, and don't let the leg mites bite
yippiechickie.gif

This is from and old post I made, but in case it comes up for some one, this is how I resolved the problem with getting produce for my chickens. After the girls ate up what I had in my garden, I put my pride aside and asked a local deli type eatery if I could pick up their prep waste a couple times a week. I would drive into town, usually had appointments or deliveries those day so it wasn't an extra trip. I received an average two 5 gallon buckets of primarily salad bar making waste. I would go through it, and bag up a few gallon bags for the fridge and then dump stuff the girls wouldn't eatg such as pineapple in the compost bin. That lasted about a year, then the new manager indicated it was not longer available. Buy that time it was early spring of 2014 and after some thinking I asked our local "fruit" bouquet vendor is she would give me her waste, that my chickens love melon rinds. This has worked well for that last year, and was really a blessing because we are into our 5th year of drought and I couldn't use any city water for anything outside. I recently increased my rain water collection set up, and now I can have 2500 gal for gardening. So hopefully I can grow more for the girls. With the waste I am getting free, I have at least one gallon bag daily for their treats. The girls will finish off the bag in about an hour. I rake the picked clean rinds into the compost pile.

Ken came in from gathering eggs and putting the girls back in the coop after their free range time, and I wasn't sure he'd tossed them some scratch. I heard myself asking, "Honey, did you give the girls their crack?"

No, girls, you can't have your eggs back, once you lay them and leave the nest they're mine...
(My three laying hens have been rather possessive of their eggs when they see me collect them, they follow close to my heels chattering continuously)

No, airgun pellets are *not* treats, stop trying to eat them...
(I took out an old yellow plastic Sheridan flip-top box I had refilled with Predator Polymag .22 caliber pellets, as I was checking the havahart trap for rats, as soon as the girls heard the pellets rattle in the box, they rushed over, and my Buff Orp tried to snatch the pellet from my hand at first, then tried to grab one from the box

Thankfully I was faster than her and closed the box before she could reach the contents, I don't think her ingesting 18 grains of pure soft lead would have been too good for her...

NO! would you stop eating the styrofoam!

If you do that again i just might kick you and your feathers over that fence. (the rooster was being aggressive)

your so cute when your grumpy<3 just let me get your eggs.

ew! ew! ew! ew! ew! ew! ew! dont poop on me!

just let me get a chicken then we can start the show

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom