Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

I wish I'd known how attached to them I would become and how easily they can become sick and die
1f62f.png
I also wish I'd known how much they would fill my partner and I's lives with peace and joy, would have got them years ago
263a.png
love.gif
Well said, Margot30.

Hahahaha! We had been talking about getting chickens and I even had a breed list narrowed down. 2 weeks ago I was at the local Co-op getting seed and they had red production pullets. I picked up my son from school, went back to the co-op and let him pick out 4 pullets. We named them ALL and I am working my rear off trying build their home and run built. We love them so much! We have done everything wrong! But I don't care!!

Welcome to keeping chickens!!

You said you're doing research for a project? Chicken projects usually mean you're breeding something, so I guess I wish I knew exactly why I chose to keep chickens and what my limitations were BEFORE I got them. Cost, space (local ordinance), and time are some common limitations.

I chose to keep chickens to develop a "big bird" looking chicken... a wow factor for when I host parties and get-togethers.

But chicken math is real and I was enamored by all the other cool looking birds and coloured eggs that I also acquired birds not needed for my breeding project (added space, pens... and how would I continue the chocolate, blue, and green eggs after?!)

I am the last house in a housing development (1 next door neighbor) adjacent to a cow pasture and wildlife preserve, but still fall under a city ordinance of no more than 3 hens and 0 roosters. There was no way I could have a big bird breeding project and maintain a colourful egg basket operation in my tiny backyard (too many rooster and too many pens).

I'm lucky that the cow farmers didn't care I built an illegal door from my backyard to their grazing pasture... my flock has so much land to graze on, but **** the days I forgot to close that illegal door and ALL types of predators have wondered into my backyard to include coyotes, foxes, skunks, and raccoons.

Summation:
1.) GET a(n) (SOLAR PANEL) AUTOMATIC DOOR!! It will literally save lives!!
2.) Be clear on why you're getting chickens and stick to it, especially with the more limitations you have
3.) Chicken math is real - so at least get them from a breeder(superior quality)
4.) Ditto on all the aforementioned posts (basic health care and husbandry, chicken T.V., they will steal your hearts; they're like dogs w/o the separation anxiety!)
ChaddiX this is great! Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful response. Much appreciated.

Hahahaha! We had been talking about getting chickens and I even had a breed list narrowed down. 2 weeks ago I was at the local Co-op getting seed and they had red production pullets. I picked up my son from school, went back to the co-op and let him pick out 4 pullets. We named them ALL and I am working my rear off trying build their home and run built. We love them so much! We have done everything wrong! But I don't care!!
"We have done everything wrong but I don't care." Sounds like you've got the right heart. Does anything else really matter?!
smile.png

What's the down side of production reds?

Learning the very hard way that predator protection is serious business!  Being lucky at first before getting serious about biosecurity.  No more production reds in any form!  How beautiful and entertaining chickens can be, and how there's never enough room for all the interesting varieties!  Mary

We have done everything wrong! But I don't care!!
Nor do chickens, they are very forgiving. They don't care if their coop isn't the taj mahal, they still jump in at bedtime and never complain about it. Except if they are being mean or fighting another chicken over something "chickeny", they are always cheerful and happy to see you. They don't berate you because you bought the kibble with 17% protein and not 18%. Every meal and every table scrap is cordon bleu to them.

Um, but they don't like vacuum cleaners. And don't wear flip-flops into the coop, even if you have run in just for a second and don't have time to change into shoes. With nail polish on your toes. Nevah evah!!

Back
Top Bottom