think that my girl has ascites UPDATE!! CHICKEN BETTER

ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

Songster
10 Years
Nov 10, 2009
Pinnacle, NC
My chicken's belly is swollen. she has been like this for a couple of days. I have read that she might be egg blocked so I did as was told and stuck my finger in her vent. I didnt feel anything hard.. her organs felt lose i guess but when I pulled out my finger and there was a blood clot on the end. then she started panting... i dont know what to do!! Her belly is really really red. is this something my other chickens can catch??? can I do anything PLEASE HELP!!
hu.gif

Last edited:
You can get milk thistle extract at General Nutrition health food stores and I'm sure any health food store carries it. Dissolve one pill in 2oz of water (my vets formula) and administer 0.5ml daily. It's great news and I'm glad for you and your hen. You did the right thing. The color of the fluid is normal for ascites. Congratulations.

My Austrlorp Hen~ Mandavilla has lived 1 1/2 years now with this swollen tummy it leaks blood not puss now ...and I seen her lay an egg yesterday! I have treated her daily by hand organic way...she seems happy enough. My vet told me to not drain her because of possible kill her. I treated her completely well then it came back but she is a happy hen with her friends! She eats non GMO feed Tuckers now. I give her milk thistle daily, I mixed one milk thistle natures way brand to 5ml water and give her 1/4 dropper daily on a bite of dry oats with, organic garlic small slice, turmeric sprinkle, collidial silver spray, organic oregano leaves broke up on oats just another to get it all down with manna about 5 pieces. Make sure to have oyster shell out and grit at all times too and fresh water daily. I spray collidal silver on her sore tummy area as needed daily if weather is not to chilly as winter to not chill her body temperature. Make sure you have a nest box area that is quiet for her to lay in if she wants to go away from others chickens and lay down to rest...this is the nature way I have done with lots of prayers! I use RX Vet too as needed on my birds if crowns look not nature all red...helps them breath better and with sickness!!

Happy Sunny Days,
Gods little animals we get to watch after...what a blessing!!
Ta

I'm not sure,but when you say egg stuck do you mean eggbound? I heard that if a hen is eggbound you can put her in warm water and rub her abdomen.If your not sure if shes eggbound then i would just put her in warm water.I've only had chicks for a few weeks never hens,but i've read post in the past about people having eggbound hens and thats what they did.Ireally hope thatI helped ,and if notI hope someone does,keep me posted.

I think she has ascetics!! i dont know what to do!! i cant take her to a vet but i want to know thats what she has before I do it! i mean her belly feels like a balloon!! and when i stuck my finger in her vent it felt like i was movine my finger around in air like there was nothing there.

I'm so sorry,but at this point i don't know what to do. If you tell me to look up somin on the internet to figure out how to drain then i gladly
will! I will try to help you in any way i can, best of luck lanie8

Back
Top Bottom