think that my girl has ascites UPDATE!! CHICKEN BETTER

ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

Songster
10 Years
Nov 10, 2009
Pinnacle, NC
My chicken's belly is swollen. she has been like this for a couple of days. I have read that she might be egg blocked so I did as was told and stuck my finger in her vent. I didnt feel anything hard.. her organs felt lose i guess but when I pulled out my finger and there was a blood clot on the end. then she started panting... i dont know what to do!! Her belly is really really red. is this something my other chickens can catch??? can I do anything PLEASE HELP!!
hu.gif

Last edited:
I'm not sure,but when you say egg stuck do you mean eggbound? I heard that if a hen is eggbound you can put her in warm water and rub her abdomen.If your not sure if shes eggbound then i would just put her in warm water.I've only had chicks for a few weeks never hens,but i've read post in the past about people having eggbound hens and thats what they did.Ireally hope thatI helped ,and if notI hope someone does,keep me posted.

I think she has ascetics!! i dont know what to do!! i cant take her to a vet but i want to know thats what she has before I do it! i mean her belly feels like a balloon!! and when i stuck my finger in her vent it felt like i was movine my finger around in air like there was nothing there.

I'm so sorry,but at this point i don't know what to do. If you tell me to look up somin on the internet to figure out how to drain then i gladly
will! I will try to help you in any way i can, best of luck lanie8

thanks!! ive looked up everything I know too do!! i just want to help her!!
hit.gif
she is panting. i put her in her nest full of straw and she just closed her eyes and panted. hoped that it would lighten up but I cant get anything until tomorrow!! I hate to see something happen to her she is one of my best hens! I love EMMA!!
hit.gif

So hapy that you figured out what to do .Keep me up to date.hopfuly next time we talk it will be more happy!! how long have you had chickens ?Lanie8

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom