think that my girl has ascites UPDATE!! CHICKEN BETTER

You can get milk thistle extract at General Nutrition health food stores and I'm sure any health food store carries it. Dissolve one pill in 2oz of water (my vets formula) and administer 0.5ml daily. It's great news and I'm glad for you and your hen. You did the right thing. The color of the fluid is normal for ascites. Congratulations.

I'm glad to see Emma is better.
celebrate.gif

The yellowish-orange color of the fluid is a little disconcerting. Hopefully its nothing.
I drained a hen of mine every few months for 5 years. She wouldn't poop for about 2 months before I would drain her...........but then she would poop constantly afterwards. And she'd be so happy and full of energy afterwards!
You asked if you can pull too much fluid off. An avian vet I went to once said that sometimes it can cause a cardiovascular collapse. But my hen never had problems.
My hen's fluid was totally clear.

I tell people if they are afraid to use a syringe and keep draining it off (sometimes it takes awhile and you have to be careful not to puncture any organs), you can just poke a few places and then just put them down and they will continue to drain, just from gravity.

I'm glad it all worked out for you! I'm lucky in that I was able to get "angiocaths".......which are needles that are covered with a little rubber tube. You get the needle in far enough to get fluid back, and then you push the rubber tube in, as you take out the needle.......so you can move it around without any worry of puncturing anything.

Doesn't it feel great to help them!
thumbsup.gif

yes I wanted to be a vet but the didnt wanna go to school! lol! everything that I have read said that the color was ok. I jus poked her 3 times and she drained by herself, just stood there and went to sleep. I hate that I am going to have to do this again but I guess Ill try the milk thistle. do u mean the GNC stores??

Quote:
Just wondering where you ended up getting the needle? Also, where/how did you drain her? Was she inside and away from the flock when you did this? Did she bleed afterwards? Did you do this by YOURSELF? I have a hen in distress with a huge belly right now, and i can't imagine poking her. I'm so scared that I'll put the needle in too far or screw it up somehow!! Is she still doing okay?

she is amazing yes I did it by myself!! it was easy!!! i brought her up to my back porch and layed her on her side on a towel. then I layed a towel over her head. she went right to sleep. i poked her with a 18 gage needle 3 times. one under and to the right of the vent one under and to the left of the vent and one under the vent all about 1 inch from the vent. i did hit one spot that bled for a minuet but that was all. I pulled the needles out and she drained on her own standing up. she just went to sleep. Then when it had about stopped I put her in my brooder to finish and that night I stuck her back in with the chickens. she is sore I can tell but eating and drinking and pooping! you can do it I promise!!! its not as bad as it seems!
hugs.gif

Just wanted to say thanks for your info. I have a girl with a swollen belly too and until reading your posts, thought that I would end up losing her. We have only had chooks for 3 months but had been given some others that we don't know their history. My two young girls would be upset to lose any of the chickens, so I am going to give your advice a try. It is better than having to make a heartbreaking decision. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom