Thinking about a macaw but were to start?

Another thing to consider is getting rid of all your non-stick cookware. If it overheats (which is eventually going to happen with every pan you ever own) it releases a deadly gas that will kill your bird in seconds. I don't trust the bird just not being in the kitchen - we don't own it. Revere ware is better anyway!
lol.png

Please consider checking for any birds at shelters. There are so many birds waiting for families, you may find the right one for you. I have a scarlet macaw that I found through pet finder and she was at an animal shelter about 50 miles away.

Macaws make rather poor pets, as young adult male macaws at 3-10 years old, during breeding seasons can be very dangerous & aggressive and known to attack humen that is entering the breeding avaries during breeding season.

Macaws can bite through humen finger bones, plus a untrained young male scarlet macaw had killed a pitbull dog by bite the neck near head.

Macaws make lot of loud noises and are prone to bring bears, foxes, wolves, raccoons which will come to see what loud noises come from., to your property. Macaws makes bears to become very aggressive and dangerous, cause the bears to do a great deal of damages to macaw avaries.

Macaws will frighten peafowls and turkeys away, with their very loud voices, so macaws bred feral peafowls, when after been frighten by loud noises, peafowls had left properties & became feral.

People will get angry if macaws make loud noises when people are asleep during dawn

Macaws are happliest being kept in biggest avaries, planted with trees and lot of trees & woods for them to chew and breed.

Most large macaws have 50 years lifespan, but some large macaws can reach 70 years of age.

Yes, macaws are trouble-makers...loud voices, bite, clawing, ...much much more dangerous and aggressive, loud-voiced than Canana geese. Macaw's loud voices will frighten the canada geese away.

Macaws need a firm patient person who must NOT hit or slap the macaws for misbehave and must listen to macaw...macaws do try to communicatee to humen without hurting the humen.

If your macaw bite you, you must walk away and be in other room for 15 mins.

Learn to read the macaw's body languages.

Macaws must have plently of diffenent tree branches & woods to keep themselves from get bored., plus lots of diffenent foods, nuts, pinecones.

Despite macaws as dangerous troublemakers, macaws can be friendly and likes to have humen to cuddle them for short time and to rub their fingers on macaw's head, plus macaws will learn not to bite too hard once they feel the fingers and skins of humen, with beaks.

You must build the huge avariy or buy the huge cage FIRST before you buy macaws.

Blue & Gold macaws are most friendliest of large macaws.

Last edited:
I am owned by a Severe Macaw, the largest of the mini Macaws. I've only had him about three months, and there has been the good times and the bad. But he is super jealous of me and will bite anyone who tries to get him to step up. You must do research before you get a larger Macaw. While at times they are sweet, there are times that can be dangerous. I love my AJ and wouldn't trade him for the world!

Quote:
Have you heard of the Catalina macaw? It is a first generation hybrid of a scarlet and a blue-and-gold. Not only does it have the colors of both parents, resulting in a rainbow of colors, it also inherits the best of both parents' temperaments, leading to an extremely playful, friendly macaw.

Here is a picture I found on the internet:

101496_catalina_macaw_from_internet.jpg

Received a blue & gold macaw as payment for a debt about 30 years ago. He/she was probably about 5 years old at that time. "Lefty" was great and never spent one moment in a cage (wings were kept clipped)...had a large perch and the run of a very large room in our way-too-large home in Reno, NV. We took on training three young african greys who lived in three seperate cages in the same room. Everyone would get an ear of fresh corn as a mid-morning treat. Lefty would eat hers/his, climb down the perch to the floor, walk over to each of the african grey's cages, open their door and spring them from their confinement then steal and eat their corn. It took me about two months total to totally socialize the greys but we had to put locks on each of their cages because Lefty enjoyed opening them up just for kicks. Sold Lefty after 6 years to a family with a toddler who would drag him around by his tail...which the macaw absolutely loved!
15 years ago husband decided he wanted another large bird...so we purchased a baby Moluccan cockatoo from a breeder...hand fed the little prehistoric looking squab and named her Dusty. We both fed her and worked with her so she wouldn't develop a preferance for men or women (which all birds will do if you let them). Built her a very large indoor cage in our then very small house (in southern Calif.) and a HUGE out-door aviary where she lived all day long most days. Dusty was a sweet, pink clown that I dearly loved and everyone who met her adored. Dusty was named appropriately as she created a fine powdery dust that found it's way into absolutely everything...do NOT consider owning such a wonderful creature if you have breathing, sinus or lung conditions. Our divorce forced me to find Dusty another home and she went to live with other cockatoos. I miss her to this day.
Large parrots, macaws and cockatoos live to be quite old and rarely live with only one household in their life time. Find someone who has several for you both to spend time with while considering all that you will be taking on. Training a younger bird is a lot easier than trying to un-train an older bird from habits you don't like. They take a considerable ammount of time and money to keep happy and well adjusted.
An old cowboy once told me (and it is also true of birds)..."There is nothing more expensive than a free horse."

Quote:
Have you heard of the Catalina macaw? It is a first generation hybrid of a scarlet and a blue-and-gold. Not only does it have the colors of both parents, resulting in a rainbow of colors, it also inherits the best of both parents' temperaments, leading to an extremely playful, friendly macaw.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/101496_catalina_macaw_from_internet.jpg

With respect, I'd suggest heavily researching hybrids before ever considering one, and making an informed decision. They are beautiful-- truly, some are drop dead gorgeous! But they come with their own host of problems more often that not.

I can not stand caging an animal, and denying it of its natural instincts of finding a mate, true love and, soaring through the sky going from tree to tree searching for insects. Imagine having the gift of flight but instead living in a cage (just spend a day in your bedroom, or more like a closet see how you can handle it, and then how about the rest of your life, its much harder than you would ever think. and never having a partner) Its why I have chickens they roam free snuggle when I want and I deprive them of nothing. And yes parrots BITE, all the time, can you blame them! Very few people provide parrots with the ideal life, really its kind of impossible. Just my opinion.

Quote:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/101496_catalina_macaw_from_internet.jpg

Beautiful!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom