Thinking About Raising Some Pheasants AS PETS Whats It Like?

I have 2 male red goldens that I got as year olds. I have had them for a year, and they are feathered beautifully. They have gotten very used to me and will eat grass out of my hands or mingle with the chickens around my feet, but I can't really pet them or anything.

I just got 3 new Lady Amherst chiicks, only about 10 days old, and they are extremely scared of me, but I am experimenting to see how they will turn out when older, tho I hold no expectations of them being anywhere near as friendly as the chickens. That's fine tho, as they are only for pretty (why I have 2 males and no females).

I know this thread is somewhat older, but I'm also thinking about getting some pheasants to have around as well. What type of housinf do they need? How do they do in the winter? Any other info. or advice?

I've raised red golden pheasants from chicks and I think that, as long as you handle them a lot early on and throughout, they can be wonderful pets :)
Out of my last four, one of the hens was so friendly that she would hop onto my shoulder and sit there while I walked around the pen. Every single one of them responded to my voice and would take food from my hand. I think you just need to handle them a lot ^^

I also wanted some pheasants for pets, as in egg laying yard eye candy, I have my 3 chicks that are 3 weeks old now, one female is by far the calmer of the bunch followed by the male and the 2nd female wants nothing to do with me. However I can get them to jump onto my hand and sit on my shoulder, first two not the last girl, I try a little everyday to get them used to "people hands" as "I bring treats I'm not a treat", somedays they are better then others.

I don't expect much but it would be nice for them not to be scared of coming to me in the yard or when I stop by there cage, but we'll see.
They are so cute though ^u^.

A few weeks ago, we got a pair of yearling RGs. They are taming down very quickly and a joy to watch. What is their average lifespan?

Well I've read lots of different numbers. Mine lived for four years and probably could have gone on for longer if we hadn't had a fox problem. Some sites say 5-7 years, some have said 15-20 years. I think possibly around the 10 year mark is more likely, but I don't really know. I'll see how long my newest lot stay alive ^^

I would recommend red or yellow goldens for tamer birds.Pets?Maybe with a lot of time invested into them.Pheasants tame down nicely if you give them treats when you go to visit them.Peanuts unsalted,seem to be a favorate of all birds.First thing I would do,if chcikens were raised in this pen,before putting any birds in there,bleach the entire pen,ground,sides,perches everywhere.Next I would lime the floor of the pen,let it dry out for a week or so,then you can add your birds.Give them perches,but no so high that something can reach down and grab them.Shrubs always make a pen look good and gives them a hiding place.I would also recommend an apron around the perimeter of the pen from the bottom of the pen out 2 ft,to keep any predators from digging under.I strongly believe in a covered top,either with metal roofing or a heavy poly.
In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago we bought a pair of ringnecks just cuz they were so beautiful
ep.gif
we only have to...so right now they are just "pets" but once they start breeding and we have enough, wel start eating them. I've never tried one but I heard they are delicious!

I know this thread is very old, but I ended up having 24 ringneck pheasant eggs. I am all informed on hatching them, but I've only hatched chicken, quail, duck and geese. The eggs were free because the lady's bator was full and she didn't wanna waste 'em. How do I go about raising them once they hatch? I don't keep the quail, I sell them . so they will most likely be with the chickens in the coop and run. Will they do OK with thm? Do they have different feeding requirements? Can they eat layer pellets and scratch? Can they get along? I plan on keeping them in a brooder until they start to feather. Then into the rabit hutch until slightly mature. Then to the coop once old enough. This is how I go about housing for all of the birds I hatch. Will they need a new pen? Sorry about all the questions, I'm new to this and want to be prepared.

I'd say! So you'd like a pheasant as a pet. I would, too, like one as a pet!

Anyways, many have stated that they can't be pets, and I take this as false. Pheasants can actually be tame companions, technically speaking! The thing is that you're going to have to start them off as chicks (by hatching them from eggs laid by breeding pheasants, getting pheasant chicks, etc.), making sure you spend lots of time with the chicks in order to have them imprint and form a bond/relationship with you. I've done this with my former bobwhite quail, and now, my Muscovy duckling, which I got on 9/11 of 2016. Check out my duckling swimming and bathing in her diminutive swimming pool:

Hope this helps! Who said birds cannot be tame pets?

Back
Top Bottom