Thoughts on coop build?

I am located just south of Buffalo NY in "Ski Country". We can see all 4 seasons in a single day here.
Lots of snow there for sure....but are there any hills big enough to ski haha!!
I too live in a lake effect snow belt, the snow loads and depths, not to mention the wicked west winds, are something to think seriously about as you build your chicken coop and run.

I'd extend your roof overhangs, even if you have to redo some stuff, to provide good ventilation protected from the winter weather, leave the eaves open but covered with 1/2" hardware cloth.

You say you plan on free ranging, but... not only might predators make that too risky at times, but they don't care for deep snow and may not go out in it. 4x8 for 8 birds is going to very tight during those days long storms we deal with. Chicken Cabin Fever is real, and it can be ugly. You're really going to want a large run that is protected from snow and wind. A strong solid roof and wind breaks installed for winter will make you and your birds much much happier.

Here's a couple good things to read as you plan further progress:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

You're really going to want a large run that is protected from snow and wind. A strong solid roof and wind breaks installed for winter will make you and your birds much much happier.
yes.... very true!

a three sided roofed shed would be great. might need to have that fourth side partly walled too, to keep the snow from rolling in.

Lots of snow there for sure....but are there any hills big enough to ski haha!!
I too live in a lake effect snow belt, the snow loads and depths, not to mention the wicked west winds, are something to think seriously about as you build your chicken coop and run.

Ha! We have a couple places around here. Nothing like Killington or whiteface but they suffice!

I'd extend your roof overhangs, even if you have to redo some stuff, to provide good ventilation protected from the winter weather, leave the eaves open but covered with 1/2" hardware cloth.

I left them open the entire length of the coop and hardware clothes them in. They overhang about 8" on the sides.

You say you plan on free ranging, but... not only might predators make that too risky at times, but they don't care for deep snow and may not go out in it. 4x8 for 8 birds is going to very tight during those days long storms we deal with. Chicken Cabin Fever is real, and it can be ugly. You're really going to want a large run that is protected from snow and wind. A strong solid roof and wind breaks installed for winter will make you and your birds much much happier.

Maybe I'll look into a separate tractor type run that will hook to the coop to extend the run. That way they can be moved as separate pieces but hook together. Especially for the winter.

Thanks for the reading.

The chicks are getting big messy and loud so I've rushed a little to get the necessities done on the coop so I can move them in before I finish the rest of it and a possible tractor run.

Snapchat-48935320.jpg

So I finished all the necessities last night. Still need to add some trim and final details and touch up some paint. Also we do need to rework the front when I figure out the additional run.

Tonight I will pull it out and get the chicks in. Hopefully the wheels and hooks will hold up to the tractor bucket and pull smoothly !

20180508_185336.jpg

Back
Top Bottom