Thoughts on Universal healthcare

Status
Not open for further replies.
The insurance companies spend millions to keep the status quo. I have always thought the least our government should do is keep us healthy and educate those who wanted to be. The government takes care of many who won't work, yet so many who do work can't afford health care. It seems like it should be the other way around.

Quote:
lau.gif

I can't wait either.

Fortunately, I believe we will NEVER have to universal health care. Look at Canada, ask them, does it work good for them, ...............NO.

Canadian answering.........YES it does work....

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

I could not agree more!!!!

My family member, who passed away Nov. 12 from cancer, fought for eight years. He was 43. He didn't smoke, didn't drink, and the doctor, when he had merely weeks to live, shook his hand and told him he was the strongest person he'd ever treated. Sometimes it doesn't matter what anyone does. The bottom line is that when we love someone, watching them die and suffer excruciating pain without proper treatment is equivalent to any ideal we may have of burning in hell, etc. All that matters during those moments is comfort.

I am truly sorry for you loss; not all diseases/illnessess are a result of not taking care of yourself. My own mother had a chronic kidney disease and after 25 years of dialysis decided enough was enough and her life ended at 53 years of age.

Many times our health depends on our genetics and environment. Sometimes there is simply nothing we can do to prevent death...it is true that our days are numbered.

Quote:
I do agree people should be self sufficent and pay for themselves, but not when that means they can not afford the mortgage, which is happening in many instances.

Our net family income is 50K, but every year we pay about 10K in insurance and out of pocket medical expenses. That is 20% of our income. Believe me we do not have any extras.

Plus if you have a pre existing condition a lot of private carriers won't sell you insurance. So what happens if you can not find employment with benefits? Everyone should pay some, but no one should have to pay so much they can not afford the basics.

Someone will always be unhappy. There are many someone's in every situation, always refuting the whats and the whys while I wish I were chewing on a licorice root.
big_smile.png

Quote:
lau.gif

I can't wait either.

Fortunately, I believe we will NEVER have to universal health care. Look at Canada, ask them, does it work good for them, ...............NO.

I guess opinions vary in Canada, too. I have lots of family there. I can't believe some of the stories I hear from them. Oh, btw, I have nothing against your looks.......................
wink.png

Quote:

I guess opinions vary in Canada, too. I have lots of family there. I can't believe some of the stories I hear from them. Oh, btw, I have nothing against your looks.......................
wink.png

lol i re read your post and had to edit...lol..

i guess it depends on hwere your family is...I hear out west in BC the health care is really expensive...everything I am saying on here is based in Ontario...i cant comment on other provinces

I would love to pay 100.00 for a DOT physical. Even when I was insured it was not covered unless I could find a doctor who would code it as a routein yearly physical. It cost me about 450.00 a year when I was driving a truck. I keep the CDL just in case, but I don't get the physical anymore.

Quote:
That is great for you, but most of the people I know are lucky to have the bare bones in health insurance.
Sure I can call my doctor for a free note for my kids school. Oh wait, not if I can not AFFORD a doctor anymore.
Can everyone in the USA have your insurance?

No need to be sarcastic - and I didnt say my plan was that great either, have you read my posts previous or after? I was saying that I couldnt believe the other poster had to pay for a drs note. under a universal healthcare plan, after all, thats what we are discussing, right? I've been with my kids peds since they were born, so - in my situation it has to do moreso with patient-doctor relationship than healthcare plans.

Henny Mom,

Just wanted to say I am very sorry for being sarcastic with you. I should not have come across like that.
hugs.gif

I've just been frustrated so many times by insurance companies that I have lost faith in our current system.

Unfortunately I went into Industrial Enginering 25 years ago, and have worked in Manufacturing Management my whole life. With the way manufacturing has been destroyed in the USA so many people can no longer find decent work with insurance. I myself have worked for 3 companies that went out of business, as well as 2 others where I lost my job due to massive downsizing. Each time I lost my insurance, and twice I have had to move considerable distances in order to find a job with decent benefits. So my family has had to change doctors many times.
I guess it all depends on the luck of the draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom